Toyota Aurion Water Pump faulty. How many aurion owners have this issue?

ToyotaUser23

Hi,

My toyota aurion water pump started to leak. It was bought in Nov 2008, my dealer service contacted toyota and toyota doesn't want to know about it I guess is because the car is our of warranty. The car only has 39,000 km on it.

However my car has dealer's extended warranty however they said that it doesn't not cover seals/gaskets...

But the issue is that to fix it they are replacing the water pump NOT the seals. You can't replace the seals.

Do I have a case to argue that it should be covered under the extended warranty?

It seems that this water pump issue is common in the aurion.

Please give your feedback. Thanks.

Yep, recently had to replace the water Pump on my TRD Aurion. It's a 2007 with less than 50,000km on the clock. $1200 to get replaced as they have to take the motor out to access the water pump.

Mine was through the dealer, but only for the water pump. They were suppossed to change the belt at the same time, but the idiots only ordered a standard aurion belt instead of a TRD one. The belts about $140 on top of the $1200 with no aftermarket available and i figured they could do it at the same time as they needed to put the belt back on, therefore no extra labour involved. Ended up getting my dad to replace it once the belt finally came in. Other annoying thing was that they told me they would do a discount on the belt for the stuff up, but when the belt came in the service department wouldn't do it as they had incurred freight charges to get it to Adelaide, and advised the service person shouldn't have made that statement.

The belts about $140 on top of the $1200 with no aftermarket available ...

Is that so?

308h4jp.png

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-TRD-SUPERCHARGED-AURION-GATES-DRIVE-BELT-3-5L-V6-GSV40R-2GR-FE-7PK2870-/261030859451?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc6a6d2bb&_uhb=1

Though you would have to confirm with the eBay seller that it is the 7PK2850 not the 7PK2870 because the latter is for a Dodge RAM.

Edited by Tard

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Quoted $1800 for the water pump replacement and another $700 for the timing chain tensioner.  Just another reason I may not buy another Toyota apart from when I mentioned that I might do my homework and shop around, then suddenly appeared a $50 inspection fee.   

Ouch! My Mechanic ended up doing it for under $900. Great Job.

The problem is, as with any car, when they ram a East/West V6 into a small engine bay. No room to move. Going 4Cyl next time.

Did you have any warning re: Timing chain tensioner? Did the chain rattle occasionally after starting the car?

Knowing what I know now I think $900 would be fair. To be honest I think the tensioner is a guess. I can only hear the one noise. The mechanic needs to put his stethoscope on the motor. 

• Like 1

It is interesting that this subject re-appears after three years. Is the water pump issue a common one on Aurions? Does it also occur on other Toyotas with the same motor? (some Rav 4's) My Aurion now has 165K on the odo. with no real issues. I have the coolant changed regularly as part of the service, and maybe that is a plus. Let us hope that this is a rare problem, and not something as regular as auto transmissions in the Ford Focus or dual clutch gearbox in VW's.

24 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

The 2GR has been been plagued with a few serious issues.

Sadly you are right.  We have had 2 RAV's now (10 years apart) which suit the Mrs.  Sadly they haven't lived up to the Toyota name.

I appreciate all cars have some issues, but a bearing in a water pump after reported 100-130,000 Km says to me the belts are too tight or the water pump bearings are not good enough.  What annoys me the most is when you point out these common problems to the manufacturers they are not interested in saying, you know what you are right, let us look after you.  Instead a quote for $1800.

The milage that you have given is not unacceptable in the throw away society that we now live in. Toyota(and many others) will never live up to the same reputation as it once had, it is just not economically possible these days.

Unfortunately, coming from someone in the automotive repair industry, it is the sad truth.

• Like 1

I learnt the hard way how to recognise when the water pump bearing is making noise and that it will fail badly and quickly. This happened at 150,000 km on my 1998 Camry. My 2006 Aurion has now done 178,000km but the service history is incomplete. Quite simply I do not know if the water pump has already been replaced or is on the pending to happen list. Anyway I just done a car forum search on how to possibly do the water pump replacement without removing the engine. Time varies between 2-7 hours so it could be a weekend job and to also replace the belt and idler pulleys etc. Because of the amount of time and effort involved, it will be worthwhile using quality replacement parts that will last 100,000 km plus rather than an unknown Made in China bargain basement item. Gates water pumps offer a 2 year/ 40,000km warranty and the $70 price is reasonable.

At this stage, my main question is what brand/s of water pump are recommended or have been used with good results by other owners?

All,

Thanks for the input. In some ways it looks to be a bit of a lottery whether you experience this problem or not. From now on I will be vigilant for this issue.

I note from other forums and previous post that repair can be done through the bottom, rather than lifting the engine out. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Is it just the 40 series? Is the 50 series affected too?

is it just the Aurion?

Aurion, Kluger, RAV4, Tarago all have the 2GR-FE, and that's not including the Lexus models with it.