How much for a new Kluger 3.5 V6 engine?

olga_edney

Really grateful for any advice.

Had a bit of a drama - hydrolocked the engine of a Kluger that I had hired (2012, V6, AWD). Am currently in dispute with the hire company as to who is responsible etc but I guess that's not the point of this post. They want to write off the car, which seems excessive - the worst case cost of a new engine can't be more than the vehicle's worth, surely?

I need to work out ballpark costs for the repairs so that I can engage with the hire company from a position of strength. If I'm lucky, a rebuild might be possible but worst case will be a new block etc. I'm trying to work out the likely spread of costs - ie how much a rebuild would be and how much a new engine would cost. I can't find these anywhere and Toyota garages understandably don't want to give quotes without having the vehicle in front of them.

I'm not after exact figures but if anyone's got even a rough (informed!) guess, it'd be really useful for my negotiations. I guess my priority is to know roughly how much a new engine would cost...

Cheers