What oil for manual transmission?

bathuu

Hi guys,

I am looking to change transmission oil first time for my camry since i bought and am wondering what brand and weight of oil would be most suitable? At this stage, there is nothing wrong with tranny and i am just looking to do it as a preventative service. It has run 20k since i bought, currently has 180k on odo.

Is it best to stick with genuine toyota oil (like coolant) or go with any oil from auto shops (sca, repco etc). It does not have to be premium stuff as it just for a camry, however cheapest good brand quality oil would be good. I use 10w-40 castrol magnatec for engine and toyota red for coolant. What should i use for manual tranny?

Cheers

Edited by bathuu

Look in the manual. It states what viscosity there is there. I just use western dinosaur oil. I think it's 75w80. And service it every track day or 20,000 kms just becuz it's cheap ($10 per service diy)

stick with genuine Toyota oil !!Go to Toyota dealership parts buy the oil ( the oil in red color) :) you need two bottles ~

Don't listen to this advice, it is wrong. He is trying to get you to buy automatic transmission oil.

There are many manual transmission oils an 75W-90 would be fine. Toyota Genuine manual transmission oil is fine, or this(which I have used and am more than happy to recommend):

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Gear_and_Differential_Oils/Full_Synthetic_75W-90_Performance_Smooth_Shift_Manual_Gearbox_and_Transaxle_Oil/#.Um9K2SHPtow

stick with genuine Toyota oil !!Go to Toyota dealership parts buy the oil ( the oil in red color) :) you need two bottles ~

Don't listen to this advice, it is wrong. He is trying to get you to buy automatic transmission oil.

There are many manual transmission oils an 75W-90 would be fine. Toyota Genuine manual transmission oil is fine, or this(which I have used and am more than happy to recommend):

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Gear_and_Differential_Oils/Full_Synthetic_75W-90_Performance_Smooth_Shift_Manual_Gearbox_and_Transaxle_Oil/#.Um9K2SHPtow

There are a couple of Toyota manual gearboxes that do use ATF though....

WOT???

• Like 1

WOT???

ST204 Celicas and SW20 non-turbo MR2s come to mind...probably the same S5x gearbox though.

WOT???

ST204 Celicas and SW20 non-turbo MR2s come to mind...probably the same S5x gearbox though.

The ACV36 manual is the E351 transmission, the S53 & S54 are 75W-90 as well.

Guys, I will enquire cost of the genuine oil from toyota parts and if it is substantially expensive then I will just go with a good brand oil, nulon catsrol etc