Ln106 Hilux Engine Conversion.. 3l to 1kzte

JDM-GTFour

Ok cheers :)

the radiator off eBay is going to be a lot cheaper got quoted $800 for one to be made ! Although I'm sure it would be better quality I can't justify it.

Engine mounts must be good then have you had any problems with diff clearance?

I'm about to start the wiring...., not my favourite job but hopefully it will be going soon

No problems with diff clearance.. everything went smoothly.. the wiring job was not fun at all.. I recommend an auto elec for the final touches.. I got it going but some of the dash accessory stuff was wired slightly differently.. but if you have the wiring diagram you should be ok.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

sorry for bring back old thread, a Friend is doing same mod, got to the the engine mount problem and found this thread. I would like  to know from anyone, will the engine mount mod pass blue slip.  a Kzn-165-r with the 1Kz-TE, To  a Ln 172-R extra cab, it all fitted in almost spot on few little adjustment here and there to the routing of loom. It's almost ready for blue slip as it was too far to turn back with he mod,  any info on getting it threw inspection will be very much appreciated

cheers Victor.

• 1 month later...

Hi Victor,

How did your friend go? The mechanic who passed my conversion had no problem with the mounts on mine..

A bit of an update to the Hilux.. its getting a respray.. should be able to post up some pics very soon.

Its going to be Holden purple.. something different!

• 2 months later...

HI,

Truck looks awesome!!

I just bought a 95' LN106R 2.8L diesel, and am looking at doing the same conversion as you have.

Just a question regarding the transfer case. Its possible to buy a transfer case adapter in order to continue using the LN106's existing gear-drive t/c instead of importing the 1kz-te's chain-drive t/c. Apparently the gear-drive number is better?

Any knowledge on this?

Any help much appreciated :)

Matt

25 minutes ago, mattiew said:

HI,

Truck looks awesome!!

I just bought a 95' LN106R 2.8L diesel, and am looking at doing the same conversion as you have.

Just a question regarding the transfer case. Its possible to buy a transfer case adapter in order to continue using the LN106's existing gear-drive t/c instead of importing the 1kz-te's chain-drive t/c. Apparently the gear-drive number is better?

Any knowledge on this?

Any help much appreciated :)

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks.. I get a smile every time I drive it.. I can tell you one thing... the 1kz-te gearbox is much larger than the 3L box, and I'd be surprised if it was possible..

My only complaint about the whole setup is that the standard diffs for the LN106 are geared to low for the 1kz. But if you have decent size tires you'll be ok.

Things you must have for this conversion are..the complete wiring loom with computer, steering column controls/stalk, dashboard with rpm speed etc, speedo cable, gearbox and one piece tailshaft, 1kz air box, (3L box is very small and restrictive) exhaust system upsize.

Edited by JDM-GTFour

Thanks for the prompt reply, Daniel.

I'm running 35s, so hopefully the gearing will not be too much of a problem.

i've located a 2000' 1kz-te with everything you've mentioned. It's a cable throttle, so should be relatively straight forward, though i don't have much experience with electrical. You have a ballpark on how much you ended up spending with your auto electrician?

Cheers.

Edited by mattiew

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/09/2016 at 0:49 PM, mattiew said:

Thanks for the prompt reply, Daniel.

I'm running 35s, so hopefully the gearing will not be too much of a problem.

i've located a 2000' 1kz-te with everything you've mentioned. It's a cable throttle, so should be relatively straight forward, though i don't have much experience with electrical. You have a ballpark on how much you ended up spending with your auto electrician?

Cheers.

Hi,

To be honest I cant remember how much it cost... he spent 2-3 hours on it.. I used the original key and barrel which had to be wired up correctly.. (even though it started before the electrician did his thing).. little things like the fan, clock, wipers, and some other dash bits needed some tweaking.. if I'd had the wiring diagram I could have figured most out myself.

I now have a manual.. I recommend getting one if you don't have it already.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Hi. Could anyone point my in the direction of someone who is familiar with and could knock up some engine mount adaptor plates? I'm about to have a crack at this conversion. They don't look too tricky to make but having them on hand would be a bonus, Cheers

On 27/01/2017 at 0:50 PM, Wild Tracks said:

Hi. Could anyone point my in the direction of someone who is familiar with and could knock up some engine mount adaptor plates? I'm about to have a crack at this conversion. They don't look too tricky to make but having them on hand would be a bonus, Cheers

I cant help with that sorry... but you could always move the standard mounts rather than make an adaptor plate. That in itself would be have its own challenges.

If you get down to Batemans Bay ever.. inbox me and you can have a look in person and take some measurements.

Ok thanks. Anyone got a precise measurement on how far the mounts need to move back. I read about 40mm somewhere, and on here two inches?

Edited by Wild Tracks

• 1 year later...

Update.. now has Kut Snake Flares and Inter-cooler which I had to cut and paste from available parts and cut down stock parts, as there is no kit for this particular 1kz motor. Noticeable difference uphills and general overall performance. I should have put inter-cooler on sooner. Scoop to come.

lux106turbo.JPG

luxbeach1.JPG

DSC_4828.JPG

Edited by JDM-GTFour
more

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 10/30/2018 at 9:06 PM, JDM-GTFour said:

Update.. now has Kut Snake Flares and Inter-cooler which I had to cut and paste from available parts and cut down stock parts, as there is no kit for this particular 1kz motor. Noticeable difference uphills and general overall performance. I should have put inter-cooler on sooner. Scoop to come.

lux106turbo.JPG

luxbeach1.JPG

DSC_4828.JPG

this beat is mint. Hope you still have it. Wondering if you have pics of the dash? 

• 2 months later...

Hi there pulling the old thread up again but has some serious vital info on it so thank you but does any one know if the 1kd gear box blots to a 1kz engine ? Have a 07 hilux had box issues so now have it spear but have a 106 that I wana do and have a 1kz engine here. Also is all I need the loom off the engine or do I need cab wires also?

kia Ora from New Zealand

• 9 months later...

Hey i wanna do a 3L to a 1kzte with the manual gearbox on my ln106 convention what transfer case do you use as the old ln106 transfer case is on the driver's side but 1kz transfer case seems to be on the left side or can you use ln106 one on 1kz gearbox?

Edited by Scott 1995

• 2 months later...

Awesome thread with good info. I'm looking at doing the same swap. KZN165 1KZTE & R151 GB into a LN106. 

I'm think I've got most of the info I need but my big question is how do you get the 165 instrument cluster into the 106? Can I take the entire dash, move some firewall mounts and use the 106 cross beam? The cluster won't fit in the 106 surround, and the 165 surround won't fit the 106 dash. Hopefully OP is still around and can share how this was achieved. Appreciate the info provided already and cheers for further help.

H also from NZ.