Has anyone tried camming their corolla instead of turbo or supercharging it?

Been looking at alternative performance mods to my 2009 zre and thought about camming it. Had a friend who put a stage 3 cam kit in his V8 Vn Calais and it was a monster.

Not sure if it can be done with the corolla's but it would definitely be a cheaper alternative to turbo or supercharging it. Might email Crow Cams and see if they have anything for it.

Personally I don't think you'll see anywhere near the improvements that you'd get from forced induction, especially since you'll have to upgrade just about everything that you would have with a turbo install anyway to get the most out of it (ECU, injectors/fuel pump, manifolds etc)

Camming a big lazy V8 is a completely different story to a small efficient economy 4-cylinder

As hiro said, you are looking at thousands and thousands of $$ in supporting mods for very little gain.

The GM and Ford boys generally have the advantage of much more flexible ECUs (many can be re-flashed or tuned) and huge aftermarket support...

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it's best to just start out with a more powerful/faster car. I guess most modifications are a waste of money but at least with a performance base you won't be completely pi$$ing away the dollars. I considered playing around with my conquest, but decided to just flog it off and buy a stivo as the price diff is only a few grand.

Edited by Break the Chain

• 2 weeks later...

The purpose of fitting a modified camshaft is to affect the timing, duration and lift of your valves. Variable Valve Timing as fitted to the 2ZR-FE already has moderately agressive T/D/L parameters at higher RPM. Yes, you will probably make a bit more power with a modified camshaft, but there's no way you'd get anywhere near the gains you'd see in a 304, even as a percentage. Oh and it'd almost certainly have terrible road manners and you'd be changing your engine mounts every six months.

If you want more power than a 2ZR-FE, then buy something else. It's an economy motor.

Truth to be known, aside from the usual airflow mods, computer mods or forced induction, one swap that would be not worth it but probably more worth it than a camshaft upgrade would be to slot in a 3ZR-FE from a wrecked Ultima or a 3ZR-FAE from Japan. I feel that the 3ZR-FE is what should have come with the 150-series rollas all along.

Actually, I'd love to drive one with a ~2600rpm stall converter.

Edited by Squire