Outputs for the 2004 Azura Stereo

Scatteredjade

Good Morning all .. Sorry I'm really new to any sort of forum but I have a problem and this is the only way I can think of maybe fixing it without pulling my dash apart.

I have a 2004 Azura and I want to put in new speakers/sub and amp but I want to keep the original head unit that the car came with ..

Can anybody please tell how many outputs there might be on the back of the head unit ???
Does it have high power or low power outputs for the speakers ??
Or has anybody else done this ???

Thank you very much

Mel xx :help:

Can't comment on the amount of outputs on the back of the unit but you will definitely want to put in an amp to drive any speakers you put in. My first install was stock unit and upgraded speakers and there simply wasn't enough juice.

If it's anything like other cars, it probably has eight speaker wires coming out of the back of the headunit. Each pair goes to a speaker. If you've got more than four speakers in the car (e.g. tweeters in your front A pillar), then it might be a pair of wires that go to your tweeter and then the speaker in your dash or front door.

The headunit outputs speaker-level signals and it's amplified, but it won't be as powerful as you'd need for your new speakers and subwoofer. To keep the headunit in the car with your new sub and speakers, ensure your new amplifier has high-level inputs. You can then connect your headunit's speaker outputs directly to the amplifier without needing any other gadgets.

• 3 months later...

Hi Melanie,

How are you? I have the same car as you with similar upgrade that you wanted. I can tell you that the head unit has six speakers out put, four at the front and two at the rear. The power out put is not that powerful, 50 watts max per channel max. It depend on what you want, but If you want to keep it stock as possible then just change the two rear speakers and add in an extra sub, that would give you plenty of power and bass. I would not go larger than 10 inch for the sub and it takes up a lot of room and require more power amps. To run an amp in your car you first needs to convert the rear speaker signal coming out from the head unit into RCA signal and that can be done with a RCA signal converter. You will need two of it. They are not expensive and most audio shop will have them. Once you have the RCA signal, buy a RCA splitter and a four channels amp, two RCA for the speakers and two bridged down for the sub. I know this may sound technical and I dont expect you to understand what im saying nor for you to go and do all this on your car but i want you to at least understand that it should not cost an arm or leg to have this upgrade. It's really quick and easy for any audio shop to install. I hope this help in some way. All the best.

Edited by Old man