Fixed a cel and vsc light

Wife had car and the engine light and stability control lights came on. Crap. I call the cel a 'pay Toyota money' light.

Did some forum reading here and on Toyota Nation and there are some weird things that cause these lights to come on. So (I know some of these sound odd) I filled up with premium fuel and cleaned fuel cap so it seals properly, fixed tyre pressure so they are all exactly the same, replaced the battery. And... no more lights

My guess is that the battery ( original one in a 2009 car) was on the way out. It does seem odd that a battery would cause trouble codes but it seems to be a reasonably common thing. Have driven a few days and no lights have come back on...

The mysteries of life

Changing the battery could have simply just cleared the code so now you don't know if it was really caused by the battery in the first place. I've had error codes from some random things in the past that have simply never returned after resetting the ECU.

Changing the battery could have simply just cleared the code so now you don't know if it was really caused by the battery in the first place. I've had error codes from some random things in the past that have simply never returned after resetting the ECU.

My thought is that if it was not the battery, the code would probably return and if it was a random thing and not a real problem then I dont care. It has had a fair bit of driving since and no lights, noises etc

I suppose my point is that if you get a problem light and there seems to be nothing wrong with the car it might be worth thinking about it a bit before going to a dealer and handing over lots of cash. The price of my new battery was probably less than Toyota would have charged just to read the codes and then have a guess at the possible problem.