2010 Camry Altise Fuel Economy

mrcool4

Hi All,

I have bought a used toyota camry 2010 altise automatic from a dealer 1 month ago. Since the day 1 fuel economy is terribly bad. I travel to office on a busy city road every day(6+6km to and fro).

As soon as it reaches half tank I am filling it full. This time for half a tank i.e 35L I got 220km :(

Please provide some suggestions on improving fuel economy. Should I get it serviced from a toyota dealer?Car was last serviced in Jan according to records.

Is it something seriously wrong with my car. I am very depressed about the fuel economy, apart from that car is very good.

Please help. If I have to get it serviced please recommend good service center in Melbourne.

Thanks,

Mc

Hi mate

my sportivo does 600kms per tank that's 70L

you need to fill up and delete everything on the trip and star over ,the way your measuring is not correct .

Thank you so much for your reply mate..

I don't have fuel economy display in my car so I am calculating this way.. I will reset the trip meter today and check once again..

How much does each point represent in fuel gauge? Is it just a simple calculation of 70/no.of points or is it different?

Thanks,

Mc

Fuel gauges are inaccurate and not necessarily linear - you can't assume that the halfway mark is actually half a tank in volume (especially since "E" doesn't indicate completely empty). Always calculate fuel economy based off the actual litres you pump into the car to fill it up and the distance travelled since the last refill (ie trip-meter).

Also, you're doing a relatively short distance in heavy traffic with an auto - your fuel economy WILL be bad regardless.

• Like 1

Fuel gauges are inaccurate and not necessarily linear - you can't assume that the halfway mark is actually half a tank in volume (especially since "E" doesn't indicate completely empty). Always calculate fuel economy based off the actual litres you pump into the car to fill it up and the distance travelled since the last refill (ie trip-meter).

Also, you're doing a relatively short distance in heavy traffic with an auto - your fuel economy WILL be bad regardless.

Thanks Hiro..I will do that.

I know that fuel economy will be bad for short distances but what is the min a camry altise can give for short distances?

So do you think my car's fuel economy is acceptable?

Thanks,

Mc

I know that fuel economy will be bad for short distances but what is the min a camry altise can give for short distances?

Thanks,

Mc

Assuming you actually are putting in 35L for that 220km, you're getting 15-16L/100km, but if you're just saying 35L because it is half of 70 then you're probably putting in something more like 30L, which would be 13.6L/100. Factory urban fuel consumption figures are 12.4L/100, so you're not that far off.

Fill the tank up, reset your trip meter and then drive around on your normal routes for a good ~400-500km. Refill at the same service station and record the litres you put in and the kms travelled and then come back to us, otherwise it is all just asusmptions and guess-timations.

• Like 1

Thanks,

Mc

Assuming you actually are putting in 35L for that 220km, you're getting 15-16L/100km, but if you're just saying 35L because it is half of 70 then you're probably putting in something more like 30L, which would be 13.6L/100. Factory urban fuel consumption figures are 12.4L/100, so you're not that far off.

Fill the tank up, reset your trip meter and then drive around on your normal routes for a good ~400-500km. Refill at the same service station and record the litres you put in and the kms travelled and then come back to us, otherwise it is all just asusmptions and guess-timations.

Thank you so much for your advise hino.. I will do as you said and get back to you guys.

Thanks,

MC

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Mc

Hi Hino,

I tried as you suggested and still got approximately same figure-- 37L for 242km ..:( . Should I get my car checked with a repairer?

Thanks,

MC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I rum Premium in my Aurion and get 6.2L per 100Kms Hi-way (if the fuel isn't stale)

And 10L per 100 around town

I get similar in my 2012 Altise. Never use e10. 95 might cost more, but in the long run it is cheaper. Burns slower and cleaner.

Edited by FXOjafar