Need help! If you know anything about 07 3ltrTD please read!

Jeffrey57

G'day folks, I'm after a little knowledge about my ute.

First problem

Since I bought it, it's blown white/grey smoke on start up. And in the first few minutes it slowly stops. It seems to run fine so that makes me think its not the dreaded injector fiasco. but I have no clue when it comes to cars.

Second problem

A couple of days ago I got in the car to head to work and the battery was dead, well at least I thought it was.. Chucked it on charge and it said it was full... Water level in the cells are fine, terminals are sweet. I could roll start it yesterday but last night it wouldn't start.. Would it be Starter motor, battery or alternator?

Third problem

This ones not so serious but i thought id ask.. Since I bought the car the gear stick rattles around like crazy.. Very squeaky and annoying.. Is this common? And is it easy enough to fix?

07 TD: Mileage pls?

Grey smoke-I don't know.

No start: does it (solenoid) chatter or click with start engaged?

Does/did the charge light glow with ign on b4 starting, and off after starting?

Does it always refuse to crank, or only sometimes--if you put it into gear and rock it a bit back and forth will it start?

Will it readilly roll start?

cranking battery voltage is nominally 8V. Less suggests bad/low battery/low resistance wiring/starter, more suggests bad brushes/hi resistance solenoid contacts/wiring. Battery MUST be at LEAST 660CCA capacity new, and better than 500CCA actual. Battery terminals need to have generous cross sections, and large contact areas for all connections. Anything in the starter circuit that gets hot immediately power is applied is faulty. Starter should withstand 30 sec on, 30 sec off cranking bursts for at least 2 min without fail. If it takes that long to start-something's usually wrong.

Gearbox: Do test oil level in gearbox and diff-top up/change as needed-replace damaged bolts.

If ok remove covers over gear lever & remove it. You are looking for dry mechanism, or evidence of wear/grit etc. Do NOT lube a dirty mechanism!!!!! It will need cleaning first!!!!! report back for more info.

Edited by Manxman

Generally, starter/alternator/water pump failure occur "together" around 250xxxkm. Coolant should ALWAYS be run in modern engines, and changed at LEAST annually. Tap water is generally too mineralized for safe use in coolant. It blocks small, critical water passages and generally increases corrosion rates. Stop-start running can halve the starters' life-esp if diesel motor. Clutch/brake master and slave cylinders generally rust out every 14 yrs. These are good guidelines-mainain and purchase your vehicles accordingly. Always require proof of maintenance, more than just a reciept or stamp in a book. Without proof, the only safe option is to assume it's not done and you do it/get it done immediately after purchase by someone outside the sales process. Excess maintenance only costs money, insufficient maintenance kills cars and people.

G'day folks, I'm after a little knowledge about my ute.

First problem

Since I bought it, it's blown white/grey smoke on start up. And in the first few minutes it slowly stops. It seems to run fine so that makes me think its not the dreaded injector fiasco. but I have no clue when it comes to cars.

Second problem

A couple of days ago I got in the car to head to work and the battery was dead, well at least I thought it was.. Chucked it on charge and it said it was full... Water level in the cells are fine, terminals are sweet. I could roll start it yesterday but last night it wouldn't start.. Would it be Starter motor, battery or alternator?

Third problem

This ones not so serious but i thought id ask.. Since I bought the car the gear stick rattles around like crazy.. Very squeaky and annoying.. Is this common? And is it easy enough to fix?

Advice removed - pay a mechanic in future. Hope you acted on the info whilst you had the chance.

i would listen to steve on this topic sounds like he knows a bit about subject.

He knows exactly what he is talking about.

The smoke on start-up could be worn turbo seals

Unlikely, more commonly valve stem seals or injector seals. Whilst it could be possible, turbo seals are more common under loads and on lift off overrun.

Unlikely, more commonly valve stem seals or injector seals. Whilst it could be possible, turbo seals are more common under loads and on lift off overrun.

"You would notice smoke under load"

You like to shorten my quotes.. lol... Im not claiming to be an expert.. just saying... I still think the KM Q. was valid.

You like to shorten my quotes..

I like to focus on exactly what I am referring to. If I did not agree with the other bit I would have added that piece of your quote.

It appears that you seem to think that I am attacking or victimising you, I am simply getting my point across in most effective manner.

It might be a good idea to stop taking posts off topic too.

Third problem

It's a very common Hilux issue due to the diesel rattle, it might pay to get under the shift boot and get some grease on the shifter assembly.

There is more information I could post here, even in regards to item #3 which I forgot to mention - however as old mate Jeff has only 1 post to his name, hasn't bothered to even reply to my previous input, nor logged in since the 29th of March then I'm not going to even bother.

In fact, I'm getting jack of people joining just to ask a question then bugger off without so much as a thanks.

• Like 1