A must for TRD Aurion owners! Front view cam

TRD468

Hey guy's i recently purchased a TRD aurion 3500sl, and i have noticed that these splitters stick out quite a fair bit, and they are also quite low to the groud. The last thing i want, is to hear that unpleasant "scraping" sound when entering and exiting driveways, especially with the current condition my splitter is in now. My car came with a factory satnav, which had been installed by the previous owner. No reverse cam was installed, So I installed an aftermarket reverse camera, which wasn't too difficult too do. After this was installed, i wired up a front view camera, and this is how it looks! works really well too, i can park the car with confidence and decide whether driveways are too steep or not. This took a while to do but i managed to work it all out and get it to perform perfectly. I will post up diagrams on how to wire these systems up, as they need a solenoid integrated into the wiring so that only 1 camera can be displayed at a time. I think this is a must do for all TRD aurion owners. The cars should have come with this from the factory!

I will explain everything in further detail when i find my diagrams, and explain why you need the solenoid etc.

post-22006-0-39722300-1397722914_thumb.j

post-22006-0-95960900-1397722943_thumb.j

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, if anyone is interested here is a guide on how to install these front view cams.

1) you will need the solenoid i have which has 8 prongs, a switch with 2 prongs, some wire, solder+soldering iron, heat shrink, Front view cam (NTSC), female and male connectors.

2) The reason why we are using a solenoid: As we have a reverse camera hooked up already, the additional front camera will interfere the screens display if both cameras became active at the same time. To avoid this issue we need to install a solenoid which switches between the cameras, only allowing 1 camera to display at a time, except for when reverse gear is selected. When reverse is selected, the rear camera MUST turn on even of the front camera is already on. This is the reason why we need the solenoid. For example, say if i turned my front camera on (with the switch mounted on the dash) so i could view what is in front of my car and then decide to reverse, but wasn't bothered or forgot to turn off my front cam, both front and rear cameras will be active, and the display will not show a thing. So a solenoid integrated with the wiring, allows smooth transaction between cameras when selected into reverse gear. (hopefully this makes sense)

3) Ok so now you have a rough idea on why we need all this equipment, lets get started.

Firstly you will want to remove your sat nav from the dash (fairly easy to do, there are many guides/videos on how to do this)

You are going to want to locate your 24 pin plug (widest plug at the back of the unit) this houses the wires for your reverse cam and blutooth mic. You will also want to locate your reverse signal wire which is in the 5 pin plug (smallest plug at the back of the unit)

Suggesting you have already got an aftermarket rear view camera, you would have 2 wires going into pin #23 and #22. 23 is vid neg. And 22 is vid pos. The reverse signal wire is pin #5 in the 5 pin plug. remove these 3 wires.

now you need to start wiring up your little solenoid. you are going to need to find a place to earth a wire (find a bolt on a metal surface, make sure it touches bare metal)

On the Diagram/picture you will need to solder the wires into there spots as presented. Start off with soldering the earth. Once it is hooked up, you will want to get your reverse signal wire, and solder it to the solenoid, to switch the solenoid on and off when reverse gear is selected (this determines what camera to display) this wire will be inline with the earth prong as seen. "Reverse light power 12v"

At this stage you can get the wiring sorted out for your front camera. Cut the RCA connector off, and splice the wires (outer sheath *neg* and the inner wire*pos*) tie the outer sheath wire with the rear view cameras outer sheath wire. SO you will have both neg video wires joined together. These can be soldered (and extended if need be) and put back into #23 at the back of the head unit. Now you can solder the pos vid (front camera and rear camera) into there locations as shown in my diagram labelled as "front cam in" and "rear cam in". A wire will need to go from the solenoid and back into pin #22 at the head unit. Solder a wire to the prong labelled "vid out", and then plug connect it up to the back of the head unit #22.

So far the the image in/out and solenoid detection has been taken care of. The head unit now needs to receive a signal for when it needs to display a camera. Solder a wire to the prong labelled as "To pin #5" and then plug it back into pin#5 at the back of the head unit.

The 2 prongs left are for the switch which will control your front view camera (mounted in the dash for easy access) The 12v power you sourced earlier goes to the prong on the solenoid labelled "From cabin switch" . You will then need another wire tapped into this feed, and take it out to your switch on your dash. Then get another wire from the switch and back to the solenoid, soldering it to "to cabin switch" This will open and close the circuit for the front view cam.

Make sure when you solder your wires, you use heat shrink to insulate them. Male and female connectors maybe be used to make installation easier, so you aren't soldering in the car. Note: that all the wires can be soldered onto the solenoid whilst outside of the car, ending with male connectors. Then attaching female connectors to the wires inside the car, so it becomes a plug and play unit.

Hopefully this is easy to follow with the pictures supplied, and goodluck if you are going to attempt this! if you need any assistance i'm happy to help :)

post-22006-0-18057000-1398419350_thumb.j

post-22006-0-63395600-1398419398_thumb.j

post-22006-0-81170900-1398419512_thumb.j

post-22006-0-67159600-1398419548_thumb.j

post-22006-0-06214900-1398419563_thumb.j

post-22006-0-99015100-1398419601_thumb.j

post-22006-0-91729600-1398419653_thumb.j

post-22006-0-72327900-1398419695_thumb.j

post-22006-0-60856800-1398421131_thumb.j

post-22006-0-71235600-1398421791_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, yes i did use 2 of his pics off google images. Gotta admit they aided me with this project quite abit and just had to put them in this post to clarify a few things. Sorry about that andrew, i acknowledge your time/effort for taking and editing those pictures from your previous thread. Photo courtesy of [Andrew (Aurion ZR6) Pics 4th and 5th from the top.

Your picture? YES "prodigy 07" they are mind, mate.

Thanks you Anthony in saying thanks now, as I did the ground work in working what does what, including pictures!

Cheers Drew

• 8 months later...

Haha this is cool, Im interested in getting the gps unit from the Presara, how hard is it to put in?

Also, I'd prefer to use connectors, just my preference and why did you use an 8 pin solenoid?

Can you use a 5pin relay?

Let me reword that...

What wiring does the Presara have that the Prodigy doesn't (with regards to the head unit)

Also can you put the air con controls on the steering wheel of a prodigy?

Has any one done it?

• 1 month later...

This great.

I've always wanted a way to connect my iPad or iPhone device to watch movies or youtube on the factory head-unit screen and this looks like it'll work.

With-in the next few week i'll be looking forward to trying this.

Just purchased the relay and all the other thing from JayCar today.

Wish me luck!

And thanks for sharing TRD468.

Edited by Boondy

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

For those who are interested This is an update.

Like i said, I purchased all the bits and pieces TRD468 mentioned from JayCar.

Assembled the unit together, added an RCA female input on the box and it looks like this.

post-28082-0-97012600-1429782308_thumb.j

You'll need an RCA connector for the iphone. It will simply plug in to the RCA connector i added previously.

post-28082-0-20460500-1429819073_thumb.j

Then i forgot TRD468 said the headunit input is NTSC so i had to purchase one of these PAL to NTSC converters.

post-28082-0-99379900-1429782489_thumb.j

And finally. It was done.

So happy with the outcome.

post-28082-0-94983100-1429782626_thumb.j

post-28082-0-44176600-1429782663_thumb.j

This would not of been possible without TRD468 information so, Thanks again TRD468!

Edited by Boondy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I installed a front camera in my Aurion 5-months ago and it has been one of the most useful additions to the car so far. Most of today's modern garages are quite short and with a car as long as the Aurion it's easy to misjudge how far in or out you are when parking, so the front camera ensures that I park in the perfect spot every single time. It also comes in handy in car parks that have high bollards/curbs, in front of walls, and navigating steep driveways etc. I have a strip of tan coloured masking tape on the garage floor which I line the yellow lines on the camera up with, so when I get home I just hit the 'AV IN' button on the headunit to activate the front camera. It's worth noting that I have an aftermarket headunit installed, which made the job a lot easier than using a factory one.

IMG_2223-resized.jpg

IMG_1424-resized.jpg

IMG_1428-resized.jpg

IMG_2216-resized.jpg

IMG_2220-resized.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Many thanks TRD468, for giving us details of your quite ingenious relay method of preventing conflict between video signal from front or rear camera.  This is certainly appropriate where the camera system is using video signal cabling between cameras and the display screen.

I have recently installed the Kogan KARVSRCAMRA reversing camera system to my 2007 Aurion Prodigy, and have used the non-wired (i.e. wire-less) method to get the video signal between camera and screen.  So far, this has worked very well, the only difficulty being making reliable electrical connection between the lead-wires of the Kogan bits and the car's wiring cables (due to the very-small gauge of these cables not working very well with the "ScotchLock" wire-tapping terminals).  I am now going to try wire-less installation of a front-view camera.  I am assuming that the 2.4GHz transmitter I have purchased will talk to the 2.4GHz receiver already installed in the head-lining of my car as part of the rear-view camera system.  I am intending to tap the headlight low beam cables for 12V supply to the front camera and transmitter, so that they are only energized when the low beam lights are lit  Of course, if the car is in reverse and the headlamps are lit, there will be two conflicting video signals trying to access the screen's receiver, so to avoid this the car's lights will need to be switched to parking lights only.  Not as elegant a solution as that of TRD468 but, if one is happy to use the wire-less type signal system, the installation job will be a lot simpler and quicker.

• 6 months later...
On 12/19/2015 at 1:38 PM, Full-Throttle said:

I installed a front camera in my Aurion 5-months ago and it has been one of the most useful additions to the car so far. Most of today's modern garages are quite short and with a car as long as the Aurion it's easy to misjudge how far in or out you are when parking, so the front camera ensures that I park in the perfect spot every single time. It also comes in handy in car parks that have high bollards/curbs, in front of walls, and navigating steep driveways etc. I have a strip of tan coloured masking tape on the garage floor which I line the yellow lines on the camera up with, so when I get home I just hit the 'AV IN' button on the headunit to activate the front camera. It's worth noting that I have an aftermarket headunit installed, which made the job a lot easier than using a factory one.

IMG_2223-resized.jpg

IMG_1424-resized.jpg

I really love the look of this front camera.

It has a factory look.

Can I ask where you purchased this from please ?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone can show me how to install the reverse cam for my zr6. It has nav screen already. Found some reverse cam from eBay but not too sure of the head unit still have the empty socket to plug in or not. Can some one guild me or if there is a thread for the instruction. Thanks every one