Toyota have lost it

I recently traded in my Aurion 2008 ZR6 for a 2012 Prodigy. The 40 series had a feeling of safety and robust about it that is missing in the 50 series. Most disappointing is the steering - feels very sensitive at high speeds and lacks feedback at low speeds. Also, the interior, the floor mats and the leather seats have a cheap feeling to it. The 2008 ZR6 came with high quality floor mats that did not move an inch - they had rubber spikes at the bottom to hold it in place. The new Genuine Toyota mats keep slipping off. All this combined with a few other minor concerns has now put me off Toyota.

You're easily put off by sliding floor mats?

What about the steering, do you have your tyres adjusted to optimal pressure?

That can make quite a difference, also the brand and quality of the tyres plus wheel alignment.

I must admit, I haven't driven the new series yet, I'm still on the 2010 model and would be interested in other people's opinion on your quality complaints as well.

How's the kickdown/acceleration delay? Are the improvements they've made noticeable? That's something I want to check out, before I'll trade up.

Which car are you planning to go to next, after the Aurion?

Edit:

Btw, as for floormats, I bought aftermarket (Super Cheap Auto) and glued a short piece of Velcro on each surface. They never move now and can be easily taken out and cleaned.

Edited by Auri 7
  • Like 1

Hi Auri 7. Thank you for your post. I am put off by how cheap the interior of the new Aurion looks. As for the floor mats - I went to the spare parts shop at the local Toyota dealer and even the manager over there was surprised at the cheap quality of it.

It came with Bridgestone tyres which were crappy so after a week I upgraded to Yokohama Advan sport v105 - the same ones I had in the zr6. Wheel alignment and pressure are great.

Kick down and acceleration is great - better then the 2008 zr6. Overall the car is good but has that cheap feeling to everything - the confidence it not there.

As for the next car - I don't really know. Before the ZR6 I had 3 holden commodores - I tried to support the Aussie car industry - but now that's going as well. Open to suggestions - has to be big but not a suv.

Thanks for the tip on the floor mats - but I thinks it time to sell the car and look at something totally different - or go back to Holden - one last try.

Hi Road Runner - thank you for your comment. Old is Gold. I had become accustomed to quality and the confidence that it gave me. I really don't know how to explain it but the new car lacks feedback.

I have been looking at replacing my 2008 TRD for over 2 years now.. and well, just cannot find anything..

recently i sold my TRD wheels to a guy with a new sportivo, we took it for a drive..

plastics etc felt cheap.. and it didnt do much for the cars handling..

maybe spoilt with the TRD.

I have looked at Lexus is350, 5 series beemers, and well... bang for buck and handling, the TRD aurion has it all. I have 3 kids, tow a double trailer with 2 x jetski's and on big long trips, power is more than enough..

I have had people comment on the TRD aurion with its interior and general look of the car. for a 2008, it actually has a better look than the current model IMO

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this on another topic about cup holders. Bunnings (and other places) sell this rubber, open weave stuff by the roll. It stops everything from moving. I use it in the car and around the house. Comes in various colours. I have never thought about putting it under a car mat, but it would work. It is very inexpensive, so you could cut it the same shape as your mat.