Hard start after sitting for 4 hours or more

Brendo88

NO problem, I seen this in the Workshop and Maintenance section
: it for Fuel Filter for the Corolla Sportivo with the 2zz-ge engines, look exactly the expect the electrical connection!

au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/32035-diy-changing-in-tank-fuel-filter/

Plus I think my battery might be the problem as it is the 2nd battery so far, and the car 10 years old this November, anyway the battery have 12.4 volts without the engine started.

It is a GEL battery and Green in colour in the sight glass which means is good.

I will change the fuel filter and it is due, and if No luck with starting properly, I 'll change battery.

Edited by Aurion ZR6

NO problem, I seen this in the Workshop and Maintenance section

: it for Fuel Filter for the Corolla Sportivo with the 2zz-ge engines, look exactly the expect the electrical connection!

au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/32035-diy-changing-in-tank-fuel-filter/

Plus I think my battery might be the problem as it is the 2nd battery so far, and the car 10 years old this November, anyway the battery have 12.4 volts without the engine started.

It is a GEL battery and Green in colour in the sight glass which means is good.

I will change the fuel filter and it is due, and if No luck with starting properly, I 'll change battery.

​So what's it doing exactly when you try to start it? It cranks fine and starts...just takes a while? Your battery seems fine... id be looking at fuel problems first. Could just be the filter/gaskets.... could also be the fuel pressure regulator or leaking injectors.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 Touring. I have owned it since May this year.

147k on it. drives amazing.

I have been having a problem like Brendo88.

Bassiclly when i go to start the car first thing in the morning it starts fine. but when the car is warm and been sitting for a couple of hours ill jump in and it will crank for twice as long before starting, sometimes even have to go for a second crank.

the car has no issues if i restart wihthin half an hour to an hour

I beleive it might be a fuel pressure issues around the fuel filter too.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Cheers, Alex

Hey mate. Have you done anything to the car lately out of the normal? Changed or serviced anything? Noticed any loss of power?

If it's come completely out of the blue you're losing fuel pressure somewhere and the extended crank time is your fuel pump working to re pressure the lines.

Without some more background it will be hard to tell. Do you have a scanner you can chuck on and look for codes?

Could be anything from a cracked fuel filter, broken o rings in filter assembly, leaking fuel lines, and worse case scenario leaking injectors.

I have a feeling it could be fuel filter.

I had the car serviced by toyota only 2 months ago. Oil, filter, and Full transmission flush.

Got battery tested yesterday. its perfect.

the problem initially only occured on really hot days. Although this morning i listened as the wife started it up and it start quickly but there was a hestitation before the revs climbed to where they should on cold.

I will try fuel filter first. Toyota seem to think it may be pinched o-rings also. but they have not inspected the car

• 8 months later...
On 7/7/2014 at 5:47 PM, Brendo88 said:

SOLVED!

Went ahead and bought an aftermarket Fuel pump and new o-rings. Went to put it in and noticed this:

o0v7vb.jpg

O-ring was bent inside the fuel filter where it joins to the sub assembly. Put a new o-ring in properly, put it back together with the old pump. Works a dream, no more hard starts!

Well done mate, good find! Also there is plastic round disc cylinder which sits on top of that o-ring that moves up and down in the top housing. If you've replaced the filter and you have a flat spots when hard on the throttle you probably are missing this plastic round disc cylinder and may be sitting in the old filter or fell out during installation. If your having long crank time but no flat spots this disc cylinder is probably stuck in the top housing. Put it on top of the o-ring in the filter housing and assemble the top housing onto it. I to had issues but after checking both of these rectifing and reinstalling i have had no issues since. I presume that the disc cylinder acts as check valve to stop fuel returning to the tank and also the seal from the pump to the top housing. Hope this helps......

On 7/7/2014 at 5:47 PM, Brendo88 said:

SOLVED!

Went ahead and bought an aftermarket Fuel pump and new o-rings. Went to put it in and noticed this:

o0v7vb.jpg

O-ring was bent inside the fuel filter where it joins to the sub assembly. Put a new o-ring in properly, put it back together with the old pump. Works a dream, no more hard starts!

Good work on solving the issue. You started at the fuel filter and worked your way back. Best way to problem solve than shotgunning at random locations.

Sometimes it's as simple as a 20 cent O ring ! Unbelievable...

I wonder if the 2012 models share these same parts or were they upgraded ?