Choppy, bouncy ride?

Hi, just recently bought an aurion atx 2011. The bouncy ride seems even more apparent the more I drive it. I have had a bit of a read, but is this really the way they are? I find it quite unsettling in a bad way. I hired a 2011 ve2 commodore, and I remember it loped along on the highway beautifully.

It seems supple and soaks up bumps well, but the ride to me is just bad. It's like it hits one small corrugation, which unsettles the whole car.

How many k's has it got. It could be worn shocks. Or, the shocks could be replaced with an aftermarket option by the previous owner. Or, the tyres may be pumped too high. Has the car been lowered?

Yeah its 210kpa cold which is 30psi. I just checked books, up to 140kmh, with 4 people is 35psi or 240kpa. So basically 33 or 34 psi should be a good in between right?

30-36 on the stockies should be fine. We own 3 Aurions (One AT-X and Two ZR6's) and they all drive pretty much the same, except mine (AT-X) with a 23mm rear sway bar. All 3 cars have had a harsh life on dirt roads up to 220k kms and the shocks are doing fine. Perhaps you have a faulty shock or faulty bush? Check if any of them have oil/leaky seals/torn rubbers etc. That's a good indicator that they might be dead.

The ride quality is about the same as a Magna and older generation Camrys (97-03). I probably wouldnt compare a Commodore to the Aurion as the suspension setup is different.

I read that the Omega/Berlina's are the 'comfort rides' and the SV6, SS, SS V, Calais, Calais V are the 'sporty' rides.

Thanks Kinezo.. So what pressure have you got the Atx at? I've got them at 34psi and it seems sorta choppy still. I might drop them down to 30 as per manufacturers specs.

The car just went through a roadworthy, and also Toyota and they noted nothing at all wrong with the car apart from a battery that is not at full strength.

I use to run my stockies at 36-40. Probs a little too firm but I liked the response with the tyres I had on it.

Im running RE002's at the moment (245 45 r17) at 40psi. Grippy :)

Mrs ZR6 has shocking ride too, stiff as can feel every little bump. got RE002's very stiff tyre awesome grip, rides ok when loaded up. 38psi front, 34 psi rear.

Have driven a Presara lately completely different to the Mrs car soft as, had the Michelins less tyre noise.

I think alot comes down to tyre choice, going to buy the standard Michelins next time

Test's have shown the the Aurion doesn't ride as well as a Commodore or Ford.

I'm running dunlop 300es on it which I think are OEM. Quite impressed with the even tyre wear, also done 20k so far on them and plenty of meat. I'm going to try Michelin xm2 next time around. I've kept it at 33psi, seems to be a good in between. The bouncy ride seems to be a trait of aurions.

A quick visual inspection wouldn't hurt, check each shock and look for any signs of leaks, or build up of dirt in a specific area (like you would get if you sprayed WD40 and dust/dirt collected on it), also open the boot push down putting your weight into it, the car should ideally settle in 1 and half cylces (Down, up, down) then try the same by opening the bonnet and finding a bit of the frame to push down on and see if you get the same results.

Anymore than 1 and half cycles could indicate worn or faulty shocks.

Someone else might also like to comment on this as I'm not too sure if wheel alignment would also give a poor ride if not adjusted correctly.