Aurion HID lights!

Hello,

I really want to install HID lights to my car.

I drive a 2014 AURION ATX model.

I just got a permanent visa so that I am a little bit confused with traffic rules regarding HID lights.

In South Korea, changing to HID lights is illegal. But, it is legal in Sydney?

I just found HID Xenon kit from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171374623867&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:AU:1123

Is it suitable for my car?

And is it really hard to change normal lights to HID by myself?

Lastly! is it good enough model for Aurion??

Thank you :)

It's illegal in Australia too - fitting aftermarket HID's to factory halogen projectors not designed for a HID cutoff nor having an auto-levelling system and washers is considered to go against the ADR and deems your car to be unroadworthy.

- that's the by the book response anyway.

It's illegal in Australia too - fitting aftermarket HID's to factory halogen projectors not designed for a HID cutoff nor having an auto-levelling system and washers is considered to go against the ADR and deems your car to be unroadworthy.

- that's the by the book response anyway.

Thank you for the reply.

I have already ordered this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201134976080

To Big-Benji,

1 Although I have not verified Harlo's comments about the ADR [The law is otherwise a constant part of the my work involvement] Harlo's comments should be taken seriously.

2 Check the specifications of the ATX against the Presara for lighting capability.

2.1 http://www.toyota.com.au/aurion/specifications/at-x

2.2 http://www.toyota.com.au/aurion/specifications/presara

3 It is NOT all about the lights bulbs. Which is all you would have purchased in the kit on eBay

3.1 It is about the ballast

3.2 http://www.oemxenonshop.com/Toyota-Camry-OEM-Xenon-Headlight-Ballast-Bulb-Replace-Change.html

4 It took nearly 8 months to find the facts. The Toyota dealers did NOT know why my headlights were going on then off suddenly shortly after being switched on

5 An auto electrician gave me the answer

6 I now have a pair of bulbs and a pair of ballasts for under $AUD150

7 Now to fit them. Oh, that seems like a pain having remove the front of the car to do so

I manage a fleet of approx 25 cars all with after market HID lights.

I have tried and used many different sorts of HID lights in the past.

We have tried cheap ones and expensive one but the best value for money kits we have found come from http://www.ultra-vision.com.au/

Yes you can get cheaper kits from the likes of ebay however the ones i have tried in the past are cheap for a reason they work well for approx 3-6months then they start to give trouble. A lot of our vehicles drive on country roads and the cheap ones seem to last approx 3 months max

this causes issues for us! as some of our car it is very hard to replace the lights or the kits. some VW's and the Aurions we have the whole bummer has to be removed to replace this can be a pain

! other thing to be aware of alot of new cars have a different kind of wiring system( Sorry cant remember what it is called) and if use wrong type of lights it can upset your electrical system.

When ever we get a new car we contact the guys at Ultra Vision and they are very clued up as to what to use

Ok they charge more but much better quality products

Some food for thought :)

• Like 1

^ 1 post - subtle advertising right there lol.

sorry bud but i sell shelters for a job not lights i do know the owners of the company though

I installed an ebay kit into my car, was not hard. Easily do able by yourself provided you have a bit of know how. I live in Queensland and have never had a problem with police because of my lights.

i think its safe to say HIDs are compatible with projector style headlights. Projectors have a better controlled dispersion of light. The only thing is you have the set/tilt the headlight's beam to the appropriate angle otherwise you're gonna be going around dazzling people. make sure you set your beam lower than it is parallel to the levelled road.

• Like 1

Sheldon, Harlo may know the answer.

Have you asked a Toyota Dealer, Spare parts or Service Manager? Often they have wise heads on their shoulders

If you can be fined for something then they must know what the applicable rules that work in Queensland?

Otherwise, the fine is illegal.............

BTW my lights are working extremely well. I can see where I am going again

Only took about 5 hours to disassemble and reassemble. Took two of us at sometimes to about to man handle the front bumper off and on

I trade Forex [that's not XXXX for you Queenslander's]

I am also testing another passive income stream

Cheers

Is the 4000k hid light allowed in QLD because i had 6000k and got a fine for it

4300k is considered to be the standard for best light/visibility but it's still a bit yellow, this is what Manufacturers use for factory HID systems. Some German brands (Mercedes/BMW) have Osram CBI's as OEM bulbs now - 5000k, pure white. Osram has configured their salts to actually have a greater lumen output with a whiter colour than the traditionally 4300k globes - they are quite a bit more expensive though.

6000k+ is when you start to lose visibility, you lose roughly 20% of light output compared to 4300k but you do gain the whiter light and a blue tint, this is also where you'll have visibility issues with the rain as the white light can't penetrate the rain as well and reflects back (same concept as to why fog lights are yellow and not white). Some people claim that they can see more with 6000k lights but that's due to the colour being a lot more saturated in front of you, it also causes a bit more strains on the eyes vs. the neutral colour of 4300k.

If you have an aftermarket HID system, the police won't generally pull you over unless the colour is on the bluer side or if they're feeling a bit mean and what to defect you for something. It's just insurance liability that you have to be careful of. Hypothetical situation is if someone drives across their lane and into yours and hits you head on and claims that they were dazzled because of the lights, your insurance may be void.

• Like 2