60 series 2H Diesel Never Missed a Beat Until Now

DavidP

Hi Dungeon Dweller,

That is very interesting and a good diagnosis.  Mine has had a repeat of the problem once since my original post and some more sanding and wire brushing of various earth leads solved it for me again.  Now I have another trick up my sleeve for next time.  I have wondered how long a voltage regulator can actually last :)

it's great to hear another 2H is still humming along.

Thanks for sharing

David 

• 3 months later...

Hi.. I have 2 X 2H diesels and right on Q at 360,000 they both started to miss at idle and soon after the ring lands on the pistons broke off and started this klacking noise and that is the sign of the DEATH.  Rebuild it early with steel line pistons NOT The **** TOYOTA ones and it will go for ever. I'm into it for around $4650 just for the best parts but it will be better than NEW.  Regards.86HJ75trayback.

• 2 years later...
On 12 August 2014 at 6:43 PM, DavidP said:

Hi Guys,

I bought a 60 series Cruiser new 25 years ago and it has been amazing for all those years.

It is a 4 Litre Diesel Non Turbo with about 300k on the clock.

The Problem:

Driving to the airport the other morning reasonably cold weather say 8c.

Early morning (still dark)

Every 8 to 10 seconds the engine misses. Not konk out just a miss.

I put the high beam on and it becomes more frequent.

I varied the speed 60 , 80, 100Km but this made little or no difference.

Sitting in the car park, stationary at idle. It is still doing it. Missing every 8-10 seconds.

I turn the headlights off and the missing stops and the engine runs smoothly again.

It has literally not missed a beat for 300,000 KM

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

David

I hey guys, I'm having this exact problem with my hi 60.

i have found that when the car is running with no accessories on it runs great. As soon as I put my headlights on and/or fan that my voltage drops and EDIC motor starts working with the fuel control relay clicking away in the kick panel. 

Now I figured out that when I disconnect the fuel control relay that I can use all accessories and have no issue with Low voltage or the EDIC motor cutting off the fuel supply.

my alternator and battery have just been replaced and voltage is perfect. 

Thoughts please on how to overcome this issue or test that the fuel control relay is the issue??

• 1 month later...

Same problem for 2yrs now, jiggle some wires and it's gone for a while. Haven't found the real problem yet.

2 days ago headlights stopped working, asuming all part of the same problem. Time to get serious.

Removed air cleaner, battery tray, dipper switch, all relays I can find etc still no luck.

Observations:

Pull dipper fully back a relay squeals under dash?

All 3 three leads on headlamp connector are positive.

Voltages at dip switch seem OK.

Suspect broken earth somewhere, Still looking.

OK found the headlight problem.

Under the steering column is a large BLUE socket (AO2) the earth wire from dip switch had corroded in the socket.

Funny setup, large white/black from switch into small w/b. Probably over heated at some point starting the corrosion.

Still looking for EDIC problem.

OK found the headlight problem.

Under the steering column is a large BLUE socket (AO2) the earth wire from dip switch had corroded in the socket.

Funny setup, large white/black from switch into small w/b. Probably over heated at some point starting the corrosion.

Still looking for EDIC problem.

All back together. Seems it fixed the EDIC problem as well, but have been their before. Time will tell.

Hi Roy,

Glad you have it running again.

Have you taken both the earth leads off on the engine block and on the chassis?

Mine looked fine and had never been touched in 20+ years.  I thought at the time that this couldn't possibly be the problem.  But it was.  5 years on and the problem hasn't returned.

I cleaned up both of the earth contact points and the adjacent metal with a file and wire brush until they were shiny metal.  Reassembled with a touch of grease to stop it rusting.

Still going like a train.

"The Dog Truck" turned 30 this year and I have owned it for all of them :) 

David

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

After many years of trying to diagnose the same problem in my parents HJ60 my brother and I have been going through posts like this trying to find a solution. The car has been looked at by a few auto sparkies as well. Finally, after cleaning or replacing almost every component we found the fix. The EDIC would cut out when the lights or aircon were on. We replaced the earth leads from the battery to the engine to chassis. This slowed down the edic cut out but did not solve it. There is an earth junction under the dash on the drivers side where at least 8 small earths feed into the one terminal. You should be able to see the white and black wires harnessed together going to it. We fitted a larger earth to this junction, and bingo, problem fixed! On top of that the headlights have never been so bright. Obviously the factory earth is far to small to handle the current from these accessories. It was causing enough of a voltage drop to cut out the edic. 

Hope this saves someone from having a mental breakdown one day!

Adam.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 11:01 AM, Adam Thomas said:

There is an earth junction under the dash on the drivers side where at least 8 small earths feed into the one terminal. You should be able to see the white and black wires harnessed together going to it. We fitted a larger earth to this junction, and bingo, problem fixed! On top of that the headlights have never been so bright. Obviously the factory earth is far to small to handle the current from these accessories.

Very handy post because I have been thinking [for a long time] about adding some extra earth feeds, more so in the engine bay area.

No electrical issues at the moment but I will have to go looking under the dash for any similar earth junctions.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:01 AM, Adam Thomas said:

Hi, 

After many years of trying to diagnose the same problem in my parents HJ60 my brother and I have been going through posts like this trying to find a solution. The car has been looked at by a few auto sparkies as well. Finally, after cleaning or replacing almost every component we found the fix. The EDIC would cut out when the lights or aircon were on. We replaced the earth leads from the battery to the engine to chassis. This slowed down the edic cut out but did not solve it. There is an earth junction under the dash on the drivers side where at least 8 small earths feed into the one terminal. You should be able to see the white and black wires harnessed together going to it. We fitted a larger earth to this junction, and bingo, problem fixed! On top of that the headlights have never been so bright. Obviously the factory earth is far to small to handle the current from these accessories. It was causing enough of a voltage drop to cut out the edic. 

Hope this saves someone from having a mental breakdown one day!

Adam.

Hi Adam,

That's interesting.  I have been noticing over recent years how brown my headlights look and have previously just put it down to age.

I'll have to go hunting for that earth junction.  Seems like this post just keeps on giving :)

My EDIC problem has not returned now 6 years further on.  Yes I still have the vehicle, sadly I had to replace the Clutch at 320,000.  I had half a mind to go back to Toyota and say "Your clutch is no good"!  I have often thought I'd buy another 60 new if they made them and that would easily see me out.