Bottom part of PCV valve fallen into valve cover

Ozzcaddy

I was replacing the PCV valve on my '99 Camry V6 1MZ-FE as it has never been replaced since new (I've owned it 4yrs).The top section and part of the main shaft of the valve broke off, leaving the bottom main shaft valve section, internal metal stem and spring and grommet in the valve cover. I removed the stem and spring, and then proceeded to remove the bottom section.

The top grommet seal had seized to the valve cover. I was levering around the seal to help release the grommet, but small bits were breaking off as they have become brittle. I continued trying to remove the remaining grommet and valve, but both the bottom valve and grommet fell inside the valve cover. I have left the pcv hole on the valve cover open as well as the connecting rubber tube.

I can't contact my mechanic until Monday morning, and just would like to know in the meantime the consequences of what has happened and what options if any.

Edited by Ozzcaddy

• 3 months later...

I went and spoke with the mechanic first thing Monday morning after (just a couple of streets away) explained what had happened, and he said there was no problem as there is a baffle under the PCV hole, and it would just sit in there and won't cause any blockage. So I came home to insert the new valve adding a little machine oil to lubricate the grommet, I couldn't get it in fully, and I wasn't going to press my luck in case I snapped it. So I drove the car down to the mechanic with the PCV valve half in and out, and it took him a few goes with a large screwdriver to get it in.

I have had no problems since, even with the broken bit still in there and the car breathes so much better after replacing. Why does Toyota make things so difficult to change compared with previous vehicles Mitsubishi, Ford and Holden.

• 7 years later...

• 8 months later...
On 9/28/2022 at 11:42 PM, Anto said:

My pcv valve broke in my 2000 camry v6 . I was wondering if you new how you're Camry is doing now. I know that this post is 8 years old now . Thank you. 

Did you get yours fixed?

• 2 weeks later...

If only the rubber part broke off I wouldn’t worry about it. Hopefully you’ll catch it on your next oil change.