Need more traction 2WD Ute

1988TCUte

My 1988 Twin Cab 2WD diesel ute is being used purely as a mule on a rural property, carting firewood, rocks and mowers/slashers/tools around. Problem is it's been raining more than usual last few months and there's several dirt tracks with boggy patches which I can't get through - got bogged to the axles once, and that was with no load aboard.The present tyres are "winter" pattern road tyres, and 3/4 worn.

So I'm thinking of putting tractor tyres on the back BUT when I got bogged the front wheels also sunk deep into the mud. Seems there's a lot more weight on the front than the rear when there's no load.

Perhaps I'd be better getting a 4WD ? ? Anybody have success using heavy duty tyres to improve traction on their 2WD

yes the front is much heavier than an unladen rear. if its sinking in, you need wider tyres, but you also need them to grip. may I suggest that you get some old wide tyres and put bolts through them to act as spikes for traction, and use 2 tubes, one as a cover for the other like a thornproof bicycle tube cover to protect the inner one from the boltheads, and the second as normal to inflate the wheel. It won't be perfect, but it may help. your tyre needs to be as wide as practical, a much larger diameter will make life more difficult.

Thanks for the advice Manxman. I'll keep a watch out for some wider tyres but the more I think about it I'm probably wiser to try and fix the boggy tracks. There's a big pile of old bricks from a previous owner which may be OK to make a "road" through the mud.