1991 Surf 4WD Engagement Issue

Mick1988

Probably a very common one, bought a 1991 2.4 turbo diesel surf for $1,500 a few weeks back. Took it out a few times all sweet went in and out of 4x4 perfect. Took it out other day, didn't want to engage.

My car has an aftermarket switch I was told you have to put car in neutral, flick this switch up, press 4x4 toggle switch on 4x4 lever then flick switch back to the center to engage 4x4 then flick switch down, press 4x4 toggle switch on 4x4 lever then flick back to center to disengage. Not sure on purpose of this switch but anyway when in 4x4 my light flickers on and off under acceleration and I hear clicking under the dash like a relay coming on and off. Front hubs seem to stay locked and car seems to stay in 4x4 as I can hear my noisy CV around corners and feel the drag of hubs being locked but being dodgy in and out of 4x4 concerns me as I don't want to get stuck somewhere.

I may also note that putting it into Low range with the lever engages perfectly with no slipping in and out.

Anyone got any suggestions???

P.S. I'm wondering if it could even be a relay dodgy which is engaging and disengaging my transfer case from the front wheels? Thinking the aftermarket switch may be for the vaccuum diff locker which I heard is troublesome with the factory setup?

Edited by Mick1988