VSC, Traction Control, Check Engine lights all on

xCalibur_

So today after not driving the car for long distances for a year, was treated with a stupid driver running a red, resulting in me having to slam on the brakes. Thank god no one was hurt.

Soon after, I had the three warning lights come on on the dash. The car seems to be running fine. Braking is fine and all. Just not sure why the lights turned on. Considering its a hot day (33C), I am assuming that the error is due to it. But cant be sure.

Without an OBD scanner I cant find the problem. So anyone with any information on to what the error could possibly be, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Could have knocked a sensor out of alignment, but if those lights are on, I am gonna guess you have no Traction Control capabilities.

Do a once over of everything you can see hoses, bits and pieces, if any fluid is leaking (stains were you park)

I also do hear VSC warning light comes on for the most minor of things.

Best bet is do some more research or find a mechanic that knows Aurions or bite the bullet and go to a Toyota service center.

EDIT: Did a little looking

"When the Check Engine light comes on, the VSC/Trac light(s) are also set, which turns these systems off. This is a self-preservation mechanism, in case the reason the Check Engine Light is on can harm or effect the VSC/Trac systems. So- fix the reason why the Engine Light is on, and the VSC/Trac system(s) will come back online."

"If you are not experiencing any drivability issues such as skipping, stalling, shifting problems, etc, then more than likely, the problem is going to lie in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) system."

Google search of the issue will show how to look for the mostly likely causes

Good Luck

Edited by Cam0101

with a bit of advice from a friend, i disconnected the battery for about half an hour to reset the ecu. the warning lights are gone, but i'll have to give it another drive to make sure its gone

UPDATE: drove the car from mill park to craigieburn with no lights. As I got into craigieburn and drove around a bit, lights came on again, and stayed on all the way home ..

not what i wanted when getting my licence back grrrr

UPDATE 2: So got the car back from Toyota, costing me 80$ for the check. The problem was a faulty sensor. Air/Fuel sensor Bank 2. They were quoting me 550$ to get it changed, parts and labor, and on top of that get the 90000k service done on the car, bringing the total cost up to ~1500$. So instead i'm getting it done by ABS in Epping for 380$ for the service, plus the cost of the sensor, so I'm looking at around ~700$.

I really dont know how manufacturers can charge so much for these kind of things.

So was a EVAP sensor.

Toyota is notorious for being expensive.

Had to get a repair done. they quoted me $1300. I laughed and walked out, they came outside and said he do it for $1100. I walked away.

end up getting it fixed for about $400.

Altho for service i need done, Toyota is quoted about the same as my normal mechanic and other quotes i got for the service. go figure.

Glad you have your issues fixed

After getting the sensor replaced ($395) and getting the major service done ($440), I'm still getting the damn check engine light coming on.

1 week of having a licence back and this is what I have to deal with. GRRR

If anyone has any info on what could be the problem, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share :unsure:

• 4 months later...

Did you manage to resolve the issue with the engine light? I have exactly the same issue where the CEL comes on and will be taking it to a mechanic but wanted to know what your issue was and how was it resolved. Thanks

Not sure how I resolved THIS problem. But what I did do, is run the tank to near empty, purchase fuel cleaner additive, and filled 98RON for at least 2 or 3 fill ups, and since then this problem hasn't occurred again.

I wish I had my OBD scanner back then and could get the code that the ecu was showing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Anyone else had this situation with these warning lights?

On two recent occasions, when reversing a box trailer uphill on a wet grassy surface, the car seems to labour. The engine is trying to turn the wheels backwards, whilst the traction control is trying to prevent the wheels turning, as there is apparently some wheel spin on the grass. The movement is eventually completed, but immediately afterwards the VSC and engine lights come on, and remain on for several small journeys.  Everything on the car works OK, and the lights eventually go out. Is this a common occurrence? It shakes one's confidence though.

Edited by nswnotill
spelling

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2017 at 4:16 PM, nswnotill said:

Anyone else had this situation with these warning lights?

On two recent occasions, when reversing a box trailer uphill on a wet grassy surface, the car seems to labour. The engine is trying to turn the wheels backwards, whilst the traction control is trying to prevent the wheels turning, as there is apparently some wheel spin on the grass. The movement is eventually completed, but immediately afterwards the VSC and engine lights come on, and remain on for several small journeys.  Everything on the car works OK, and the lights eventually go out. Is this a common occurrence? It shakes one's confidence though.

I've had a similar thing happen. I wash the car and try to reverse back to the carport which is about 10-degrees upward sloping angle, and the car does not want to move even with the engine at 4000RPM! I got the check engine light. 

This happened twice.

This is what I got on the OBD2 scanner.
Axf5xvQ.jpg

Anusha,
Your comments have been noted.
I regularly have this phenomenon showing up on my 2008 model, particularly when manoeuvring a trailer in my back yard on rough and/or slippery grassy ground. The dash lights up like a Christmas tree.
I basically ignore it now, as everything is functioning OK, and all the warning lights go out after a few trips on sealed roads. My guess is that it may be caused by general wear in the braking system, issues with the sensitivity of sensors and maybe other factors. (My Aurion has done 200K)
With my late model Magna (which I previously owned) there was a dash switch to turn the ABS off which was very convenient.
If it continues to bug me too much I may move to a rear wheel drive car, which possibly could address these issues.

• 4 months later...

Out of the blue, this morning while driving to work. About 2 minutes into the trip, accelerating quickly for a merge, then at the first traffic light got the dreaded "CHECK VSC SYSTEM", engine and TC lights on, which stayed like this for the remaining 45 mins or so. Car drove well, nothing out of ordinary. No rough idle, fluid leak, no loose connectors, cables or hoses afaict. At lunchtime went to check it again. Started the car and, of course, no VSC error anymore, engine and TC lights off, everything's back to normal!! Drove it around the block and checked it with the OBD2 scanner, no fault retrieved :(:(

Ideas? Guess I'll have to wait for it to reproduce and have the ELM327 adapter around...

20180314_075001.jpg

Edited by AurionX2

After an error is detected, the system does a number of "detection/checking" cycles which varies for each error type. The system is able to reset if the error is no longer detected.

Hasn't happened again yet. Based on the car's behaviour I have a suspicion it could be loosely related to using a Valvoline engine flush at the previous petrol fill-up. No particular reason other than picking it up on sale for 4.99. Mmmm, is it a case of if it ain't broken, don't fix it?

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2017 at 10:04 PM, nushydude said:

This VSC warning now occurs to me regularly, every time I reverse uphill, with a box trailer fitted. I ignore the warning lights, and the car runs normally. After some time the lights go out and all is well until the next time. I have been told that something similar occurs with late model Commodores, and the lights go off after 6 ignition/engine stop-start cycles, as the ECU then re-programs itself.

I guess a similar ECU re-programming occurs with Aurions. However it would be handy to know how many ignition/engine stop-start cycles are necessary before normality returns to the warning lights. I could then start-stop in quick succession several times after each VSC alert to quickly rectify the problem

If this is now occurring regularly, is it a sign that there are some faulty sensors in the system, or general brake wear? The car is a 2008 model and has done 212K.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had engine light and vsc and traction control lights on for a broken wire for the intake flap that opens up the second path into the airbox. I think the same lights come on for a host of issues, many of which have no relationship to traction control or vsc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I noted on a USA forum that the VSC lights can sometimes be returned to normal by unscrewing the fuel filler cap and relieving the pressure. Others say the 02 sensor can cause the VSC to illuminate. Yet others say that a historical analysis of the ECU is necessary to indicate which parts are at fault.

• Like 1

This morning after getting to a jobsite, I was sitting with just the radio on when the vsc & engine lights came on. Long story short my battery had finally given up the ghost, glad workmates were there so I could duck out and get a freshie :D

• 4 months later...

Changed the alternator  everything went  well   Then   VSC system light came on then engine light   car drives great but these lights  stay on , Have had a good look see if any wires or   pipes left off    any idea how to turn these lights of or reset system

4 hours ago, RGJ said:

ny idea how to turn these lights of or reset system

Quick solution is to disconnect battery for at least 5 minutes.

Recommended solution is to get a OBD scanner to read and reset the error codes. When you know what the error code is, you can then do a Google search and start to diagnose the root cause.

Following is a basis OBD II scanner on eBay and another affordable one.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Autel-MaxiScan-MS309-CAN-OBDII-Diagnostic-tool-OBD2-Scanner-Scan-Tool-for-Check/401616177229?hash=item5d8230884d:g:Sb4AAOSwPCZbwKKH:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUTEL-AL301-AutoLink-OBD2-Vehicle-Fault-Code-Reader-Eraser-Scan-Tool-AU-Stock/132193597685?hash=item1ec75a38f5:g:BtwAAOSwONBZAYsa:rk:30:pf:0

• 2 years later...

On 11/21/2014 at 9:54 PM, xCalibur_ said:

After getting the sensor replaced ($395) and getting the major service done ($440), I'm still getting the damn check engine light coming on.

1 week of having a licence back and this is what I have to with. GRRR

If anyone has any info on what could be the problem, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share :unsure:

I was driving to work and after 100km got those lights on too. Cruise control stopped working too. Mine 2014 model with 240 000km on it. Due for service anyway... 😕

Edited by Mervi
Aircon just turned off.

1 hour ago, Mervi said:

aircon

Has anyone else had cruise control not working either with the warning lights.

Thank you!

20210118_152702.jpg

Edited by Mervi

You really need to get an OBD II scanner to read the error codes in order to troubleshoot for the underlying cause.

With the cruise control not working, I am totally guessing that the connections to the ABS module needs to be checked. This may also involve checking the ABS sensors on the wheels which the error code may pinpoint.