Dragging stuff around with 1988 2WD Twin Cab Ute

1988TCUte

I was given my diesel Hilux for nix and have got it running well with a new timing belt and a change of oil and fluids.

It's main use is for carting firewood and road/track fill around on a rural property.

The other thing I have been using it for is dragging old tree stumps into position so I can either burn them or chop 'em up into firewood. To do this I attach a chain to the tow bar/ hitch, then point and shoot and hope the stump will follow along for a few metres, then repeat until it has been moved along sufficiently. Because it is 2 WD there's not enough traction to do much dragging but the weight/kinetic energy seems to do the trick.

My question is how tough is the chassis on this old girl ? So far such treatment hasn't seemed to cause it much grief - is it going to break in half ? /

the chassis is mild steel, and if the rust is minimal, it should tow upto 2T constantly, but use stretchy strapps to cushion jerky loads. Do NOT tow ropes etc from the towballl it will snap off and the flyback can be fatal/damaging. If u need more grip, use tyres or tyre cappings with steel bolts thru them as "ice" spikes.