Help w/ new tyres for new wheels

Kanmuri79

Hey people,

I'll have new set in about 8-12 weeks hehe (sea freight).

Looking into potentially buying tyres from tirerack.com also.

Main query is what size tyres should i getting?

2013 Camry Atara

Stock is 17x7 +45 on 215/55s

Currently running 18x8 +40 but switching to 17x9 +35

I'll also be lowering the car slightly.

I've been looking at tyres ranging between 235-245 / 35-45.

After doing some online homework, my current thoughts are that i shouldn't have any issues with scrubbing etc but i'm always ready to take advice.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

235/45

Yeah well thats an answer ok.

Buuuut...

Is the stretch of 235 going to cause any issues. Is 245 the minimum sidewall you would suggest? I spoke to Ollie at The Tyre Professionals, Sunshine and he seemed to reckon there may be issues (control arm) with goin so wide up front but there's a few people on Toyota Nation with just as big wheels and no issue.

Different car so I am not sure about issues but if you would like to protect/minimise extent of gutter rash to your wheels then I'd suggest at least 245 for 9" wide.

45 profile seems on point for 17s.

Ive seen sites like this around, how much can i follow their generic suspension placement when obviously every car is a little different.

How much space is there between the inside rim/lip of your current wheels and the suspension strut right now?

According to the site, the inside rim of your new 17x9 +35 on 245/45 would be 7.7mm closer to your suspension strut. (Using 235/45/18x8 +40 as existing setup)

So say if your current space between the wheel and suspension 60mm, with your new wheels on you'd still clear your suspension struct with 52.3mm to spare.

I hope this helps? :wacko:

Edited by Jims Bond
  • Like 1

Ive seen sites like this around, how much can i follow their generic suspension placement when obviously every car is a little different.

i myself dont completely trust it, i mainly use it for tyre guides and wheel offsets to see what it looks like.

as per your comment; yeah every car is different, dont forget about camber too if you are running it.

Have you checked under your car to see how much room you actually have between the strut and the rim ?

Have you checked under your car to see how much room you actually have between the strut and the rim ?
Have not. But will.

I measured from the top, closest inside edge of the tyre to the strut and i've got 2-3cms gap at the moment.

So i'm currently running 18x8 +40 on 235/45/r18 with 2-3cm gap

if i switch to 17x9 +35 which tyre size would be most suitable, i'd prefer not to run too thin but whatever is necessary i guess.

Since i have no concept of tyre stretch, i still need help.

I was thinking maybe 245/45 ?