On Board Diagnostic equipment (OBD) for the home mechanic?

Jim.

I would like to choose and purchase a DIY piece of equimpment, or software, to analyse my 1993 5SFE engine Camry. This means it would be the ealier OBD-1 class of electronics.

Last time I went to my local friendly auto electrician, he could not find the car's codes, but still charged me hundreds!

I have an electronics background and have worked on my own cars for some 50 years or more. Self reliant etc.

If someone could help out with any information or accounts of experiences with such gear, it would be much appreciated.

There is a huge range of options offered, just by taking a quick look on ebay.

I thought this would be the ideal place to start some research.

Jim.

From memory, bridge E1 and TE1 at the diagnosic connector(yes, with a paper clip). From there watch the check engine light(CEL), it will blink a code. First set of blinks will be the first number, the second set will be the second number. For example 4 blinks - PAUSE - 1 blink will be the number 41.

• Like 1

TE1 and E1 are the pins to bridge for diagnostics pretty much all ODB1 Toyotas. There are other pin combinations to test things such as fuel-pump priming, external tachometer etc etc

Make sure you get the right code-set as there are two different ones - the older single-digit code-set (which does have some double-digit codes) and the newer full double-digit, from memory they changed in the late 80s/early 90s.

Best bet is to get a Gregorys workshop manual or the like, they almost always have a listing of the error codes and the correct way to check/clear them.

That is very good to know Trent!

edit:

I've just had a look in my "Mitchells On Demand" version of the service manual and all the codes are listed. Actually, the section on fault diagnosis is huge.

So far, I have found that this service manual is very good actually. And I seem to recall that it was cheap.

It is just a bit hard to find my way around it and locate what I'm looking for, but that can be worked out.

Edited by Jim.

From memory, bridge E1 and TE1 at the diagnosic connector(yes, with a paper clip). From there watch the check engine light(CEL), it will blink a code. First set of blinks will be the first number, the second set will be the second number. For example 4 blinks - PAUSE - 1 blink will be the number 41.

At what stage is the ignition turned on during this proceedure?

At what stage is the ignition turned on during this proceedure?

Ignition key should be at the ON position (but the engine not running) during the whole procedure

• Like 1

Excellent! Thanks Hiro.

I thought so, but just wanted to make sure.

I'll be giving it a go over the holidays. I don't have a problem that I'm aware of, I just would like to become familiar with the process should one occur sometime in the future etc.