Sticky Dashboard?

Deb Moran

I'm not going on camera lol but I would like to help if I can.

My dash is a safety issue now it's beyond a joke.

And from what I understand the fj cruiser has been recalled for the same issue.

• Like 2

Noticed most of you are from pre facelift aurions (2006-mid 2009). Mine is a facelift one and yet to see any sticky dashboard cos I have dash cover on it.

Is there anyone from mid 2009 to late 2011 aurions that have such issue?

DeafDave, doesn't matter if it has a dash cover or not. It still melts. It is a known manufacturing fault. Warranty does not apply to manufacturing faults. Love to hear from anyone else with a problem. Just as a point, also, mine only started in the last twelve months and it is a 2008, so early days yet for your car.

Edited by HelenC
  • Like 2

I have the same sticky dashboard problem, I own a Toyota Aurion Prodigy 2009 where the dashboard is so sticky, it looks like it is melting. I feel that this is not a warranty issue but a manufacturing issue. I hope this does go to A Current Affair I feel they will be surprised at the response they will receive. Its about time Toyota stepped forward and took responsibility for this like they did in America. I feel that because America have a larger population which means a larger volume of voices this is why Toyota have replaced the dashboards, Just because we are a smaller nation doesn't mean we don't have voices so what is good for one country should be good for another.

Toyota have had such a great reputation for such a long time I would hate to thing that people are going to thing twice about buying a Toyota because they will not take responsibility of a manufacturing fault.

• Like 2

From what I have heard so far, it seems to be limited to roughly 2006 to 2009 inclusive, and it doesn't start immediately. It has taken about three years on most cars to get to the really sticky shiny stage, but then it goes downhill fast and starts disintegrating. There are photos on the melting dashboard page on FB that are just awful, worse than my car! Very disappointing, but I am not going to give up on this. We bought quality cars with hard earned money, in good faith, from a reputable company. My Aurion has been mechanically brilliant, but the dash is a cesspit.

• Like 3

there is one solution.. if you guys can replace the f aux leather or leather like material with a real one i think this would would solve all problems... i hate going back to the dealerships.... an even after you get a replacement you are going to face the same problem......

Yes, true. I am working to get a replacement, and trade mine in. I loved the car, but now, we are going to part company. She is getting a few miles on the clock anyway. GREAT beasts mechanically. Got to love how they sit on the road ..... I went looking at Corollas today.

Thanks to this thread, I too have discovered my 2008 AT-X has the same problem. It's not too bad at the moment - but is noticeably shiny and sticky on the front part of the dash close to the windscreen.

I've emailed Toyota to see what they are going to do about it; if similar vehicles have been recalled in the US for this problem, you would expect Toyota Australia to do the exact same thing - replace the dashboards free of charge. I know what their response is going to be, but I'll post here when they get back to me with their standard 'fob-off' a 'valued customer' response.

"Oh, what a feeling!"

• Like 2

I just can not bring myself to fix a problem created by Toyota during the manufacturing process. It goes against the grain, Kiranarch. I want my dashboard replaced because it is a known manufacturing fault, being out of warranty does not apply, and I am not picking up the tab for a screw up on the part of a huge corporation. The other problem is that, if we do anything with these dashboards, we will give Toyota an "out". These are supposed to be good quality cars and a reputable company. Toyota aren't short of a quid - they can dig deep into their pockets, and do the right thing by all of us! End of story.

• Like 1

I agree, Helen.

If Toyota in the USA can recognise and correct a fault for its "valued customers", they can do the exact same here in Australia.

It is obvious the fault is exactly the same, caused by a known manufacturing defect.

Toyota owners deserve better. If Toyota do not fix this problem without me having to jump through endless hoops, I'll be trading it in for something that I'm sure will last more than 6 years.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you Helen..... but i still feel Toyota gives a rats...... to their customers...... had bad experiences.... even thought of changing the car brands, probably to German ones at least you get quality service...

• Like 1

Yes, sadly, I am not hearing good things about this either, but we have to try. I think we all need to speak up as one, and that is what I am trying to do. Pull people together on it, get publicity. At least we can take a damned good run at it. :)

• Like 1

Count me HelenC.

Mind the same 11/2006 I've a dash mat over it from day one from purchase, and it still has melted, anyway with the dash mat covered it, I don't have to look at the mess.

To replace dash with a second hand one from the wrecking yard you'll be looking around the $250.00, don't know what year the dash is from, so I still can have the same fault as the first dash.

I was thinking of doing this but, a little unsure how to REMOVE the dash without the air bags going off.

So I'm just living with the dash mat covering a stick dash and hope no more bits fall off it.

Drew

• Like 2

Same problem here, 2007 Prodigy. The shine in the windscreen is starting to get quite noticeable. I also considered getting another dash but, like Andrew, I can't be sure the next dash won't have exactly the same problem.

I've completely removed the dash to try to clean it, this didn't make much difference. The process of getting it out just causes more damage on the already soft surface. I also plasti-dipped it but I wasn't happy with the result so removed it, and it's not a long term solution. I even considered wrapping it. So I'm now in the market for a dash mat to cover the ugly thing, out of sight, out of mind...sort of.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in what's under the dash:

post-24045-0-41009300-1425590699_thumb.j

• Like 2

Same problem here, 2007 Prodigy. The shine in the windscreen is starting to get quite noticeable. I also considered getting another dash but, like Andrew, I can't be sure the next dash won't have exactly the same problem.

I've completely removed the dash to try to clean it, this didn't make much difference. The process of getting it out just causes more damage on the already soft surface. I also plasti-dipped it but I wasn't happy with the result so removed it, and it's not a long term solution. I even considered wrapping it. So I'm now in the market for a dash mat to cover the ugly thing, out of sight, out of mind...sort of.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in what's under the dash:

attachicon.gifDash gone.JPG

Hi Longreach,

I feel for you mate, what a job in removing the dash.

Gee's that a mess, and I'm electrician by trade 240 volts not Auto Electrician.

Do you have any photo's of dash itself, as I can post photo's of mind as it falling to pieces at the touch of my hand? been covered for the last 9 years with dash mat from new.

If it a hard job to removing the dash? ( my concern is the 2 air bags) I was going to bit the bullet and order a new dash, (install it myself as I got plenty of time and probably do a better job that Toyota service mechanic) as my car is in excellent condition apart from this, and what Helen said great Mechanical engine and drive train.

I also change my oil and oil filter every 5000 kilometres, I know it is a bit of and over kill, so what I look after my car's properly.

hope to hear back from you.

Cheers Drew

• Like 1

Drew. Sorry, haven't got any photos of the dash at the moment. It's starting to chip off in places too. Apart from that I really like the Aurions, so it's a shame.

Removing the dash is a pain but not as big of a nightmare as I was expecting, just need time. The airbags aren't an issue, just make sure the battery is disconnected before working on the dash. Taking the steering wheel airbag off is actually fairly straight forward. The passenger one comes out with the dash after disconnecting the wiring. You have to remove the steering wheel to give yourself some space to manoeuvre the dash out, even then it's a close call. You're supposed to take the indicator part off too which would give you a bit more space, which I didn't do.

Are you looking at another dash from a wrecker? Does Toyota even sell them?

Term

• Like 1

I was looking at getting one from the wrecking yard, but decide to wait now, after reading this thread.

I can get a second hand dash from a wrecking yard over at Fairfield, they said it has a few marks on it, so I said No thanks.

I've not been to the Toyota Dealer yet, so I don't if they are available.

Thanks for the heads up on the airbags and disconnecting the battery, plus you don't need to remove the steering wheel all you need to is drop the 4 bolts to steering shaft, which lowers the steering wheel out of the way.

• Like 1

Here is a photo of my melting dashboard that Toyota will not replace.attachicon.gifP2260019.JPG

Wow, that's some serious melting. I ended up just buying a dash mat today for mine. I'm not really a huge fan of dash mats but covering it up has proved strangely therapeutic. Now I can just drive along and pretend everything's ok.

• Like 1

I was looking at getting one from the wrecking yard, but decide to wait now, after reading this thread.

I can get a second hand dash from a wrecking yard over at Fairfield, they said it has a few marks on it, so I said No thanks.

I've not been to the Toyota Dealer yet, so I don't if they are available.

Thanks for the heads up on the airbags and disconnecting the battery, plus you don't need to remove the steering wheel all you need to is drop the 4 bolts to steering shaft, which lowers the steering wheel out of the way.

Yeah, I think getting one from a wreckers would be a big gamble and I hate to think what Toyota would charge, that's if they even have them. Thanks for the tip on the bolts, never even though of that. I actually had to put the steering wheel back on to move the car forward in the driveway during the process, weird feeling driving it like that.

Edited by longreach
  • Like 1

I just can't bring myself to cover up an obvious manufactures defect. The dash mat will stop the glare but not the melting. Toyota Australia needs to stand behind the product they manufacture and replace the defective dashboards. "Do the right thing for your customers."

• Like 3

Holly crap man, that's disgusting. Toyota, what are you doing? What happened to oh what a feeling?

I hope they do replace it, I love my Aurion and was planning on getting a second and maybe a third but I dunno now.

• Like 3

My dashboard was replaced today by Toyota Australia, and the new component has a 1 year or 20,000 km warranty... I did ask, and it is a new and recently manufactured dashboard. The car is an Aurion AT-X, 2008 model.

• Like 2