Sticky Dashboard?

Deb Moran

So you when into your dealership and complain the dash is melting?

Which dealership please?

Who authorised the replacement Dealership or Toyota head office?

As I need to explain to Toyota they did your car, why not mind.

Edited by Aurion ZR6

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew, I rang the dealership and TMCA. I took photos, and also had the dealership take photos, and then I emailed and called TMCA to ensure that they had them. I was refused at first. I also had an independent assess the car, and he deemed it not roadworthy without a dash mat. If I had put a dash mat on it, it would have stuck to it. I was also concerned about whatever the melting substance is.. glue?. It was an effort to get it replaced. It was authorised by Head Office. The day after it was done, the dealership told me that they had never seen it before.... and I think they expected me to believe it.

• Like 2

I took my 2006 Aurion to a plastics engineering company and in there opinion the cause of the melting dashboard is a chemical reaction within the material causing it to degrade. They said it appears that a substandard or substandard materials were used to manufacture the dashboard causing it to breakdown. They said heat or sun alone would not cause this damage. Toyota still told me they could not help as the car was out of warranty.

• Like 1

Hi forumers!

This forum has been very enlightening!!!

2008 aurion owners and guess what-my dash is sticky!!! It didn't happen gradually I just noticed the shininess on the windscreen.

Tomorrow I'll start the constant pressure on toyota to repair/replace. In the interim-what is the best dashmat to cover it-I'm more concerned about the glare and affects it will have on my ability to see.

My 2008 has done almost 200k, always been services by toyota, and apapry from minor aircon issue had had no problems.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

post-35781-0-00207300-1427859085_thumb.jAs some of you know, there are now about 26 of us (and lord knows how many are still are out there - follow this Facebook page and upload pictures. The more momentum this Facebook page gets, the louder the voices become to get our dashboards replaced. Facebook: Melting Dashboards in Toyota Cars Australia

• Like 1

I have a sticky dash too, have contacted Toyota waiting on a response like most it is a 2008 model

Hoping they will cover it under goodwill

• Like 1

I've written to Toyota and they want me to take it to a dealer. I don't want to go there just to be told it's not under warranty, so I've asked Toyota what to say to the dealer when they inevitable tell me to go away. I've not heard back from them yet, it's been a week, so thought I'd take some photos and send them directly to Toyota.

Luckily, my dash isn't as bad as some of the examples I've seen here. The problem only really stands out when it is warm and in bright sunlight, when the shine reflects up onto the windscreen. It is most shiny right up near the windscreen, which is obviously the area that heats up the most in bright sunlight.

But, I'm not driving my Toyota through the sun, so I fully expect that this shouldn't be happening at all. Toyota has always taken pride in their "quality cars" made for Australian conditions. Toyota USA have recognised this problem and corrected it with a large recall program, even though those cars were outside their warranty periods.

Attached are some photos.

I will keep everyone updated with the outcome.

20150404 133954

20150404 133946

Edited by Peter Williams
  • Like 3

Have a look at Melting Dashboards in Toyota Cars Australia on Facebook, and you will see where you are going to end up. They go downhill fast from where you are right now, to the point of disintegrating.

Edited by HelenC
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem with my 07 Aurion prodigy. So glad I found this forum as I thought I did something wrong. Please add my details to any complaint list and will now join the fight for a replacement.

Ah is that what it is?

I've noticed my Aurion dash is also showing similar symptoms this year after 7 years of ownership.

IIhave since purchased dash mats and hopefully able to hide it long enough to trade it in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem also , sticky dashboard and also had intermediate gear shaft problems , my car is 2008 Aurion built , purchase in 2009 , you are absolutely right ,talking to Toyota head office is a complete waste of time , they are not interested , my car has only done 49,000 k , have looked after it , but because it is 6 years old , they say it is out of warranty.

Edited by Phantom Avenger

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem in my 2007 Aurion and from day one I had the dash mat, but still found the dash to be sticky. The car in mostly under cover away from Sun.

Not happy at all.

Well, the good news is that Toyota has become a lot more willing to come to the party, sounds like they're paying for all dash replacements now (parts & labour).

So looking forwards to getting mine replaced next Monday, I'll be able to see again!

A lot of thanks does have to go to a couple of names in that Facebook group that I linked to, thanks to their efforts things have gotten easier for everyone else.

• Like 1

I have a sticky dash too , car only done 50,000k in 6 vears , had touble also with intermediate steering shaft , Toyota's response the same out of warranty, and parts in australia made different than overseas . Talk about the artful dodger ! Dont hold your breath , best solution is to tell all your friends to email toyota and tell them you will never buy their product again. pass the word people, facebook friends , all you can muster, only way for results is to spread the word about their after sales service , ring around your dealers to . Toyota , Oh what a feeling.

Same issue with my 2007. Had it in for 120k service 6 weeks ago & raised the sticky dash with the Toyota dealer on the basis that it was becoming unsafe (reflecting onto windscreen).

When I picked the Aurion up dealer told me that it had been referred to Toyota as an out of warranty claim. Two days letter phoned to say dash replacement had been approved at no cost to me (quoted $1230 if I was to pay) but it would be 4-6 weeks for replacement to come from Japan.

Had new dash fitted yesterday. Squeeks & rattles now all gone so that's a bonus.

Highly satisfactory result - I have been using this dealer for about 15 years to service my various Toyotas so maybe that played some part in it, or Toyota has suddenly realised the problem is bigger than first thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys- I have been following this thread with interest for a while now and this week I finally had my dash replaced for free on my 07 Aurion sportive SX6. The difference is night and day. See below for before and after pics.

before:

2h5mfjn.jpg

after

33tib61.jpg

Hey Guys- I have been following this thread with interest for a while now and this week I finally had my dash replaced for free on my 07 Aurion sportive SX6. The difference is night and day. See below for before and after pics.

before:

2h5mfjn.jpg

after

33tib61.jpg

What a difference! Mine is nothing like your before pic, I still want mine replaced though haha did they say it would happen again or is the new dash made of something different?