Sticky Dashboard?

Deb Moran

Definitely fight to get it replaced. Mine started out as just one little spot but quickly progressed to that within 8 months. I even had a dash mat at the time but it makes no difference if you keep the sun off it or not.

The new material is completely different. It isn't hard like the old one. Its kind of soft and squishy. Only thing is its a little more or a grey colour than the old dash so doesn't perfectly match. Its very very close though, and I don't care as now I can actually see out the window and don't have to look at the horrible sticky dash!

Toyota , finaly changed my dash today, as a gesture of good will , that I am grateful for , but also need to thank my dealer for all their help in replacing it . keep up your persistance friends , you never know what will happen if you keep asking .

• 4 weeks later...

Recently called up a dealer regarding this said problem. I was simply cleaning my dashboard with an armour all cloth, and to my surprise the cloth got stuck on the dashboard. I didn't even realise it was sticky until now. It has left an ugly mark and has ruined this part of the dashboard, leaving white marks etc due to the friction and stickiness of the dash when I wiped over.

I have inspected the majority of the dash and it is beginning to melt in other places also. I have a small glare in the windshield also that I did not realise was the result of the dashboard until finding this to be a common problem.

The dealer has simply fobbed me off as most of you were told also, stating that it was out of warranty and that I would have to pay a certain amount for the dashboard to be replaced - he did state that they would pay for some of the labour or part, but not all.

I believe, considering the recent recall in American, with constant petitioning and persistence, that Toyota Australia will have to make a decision as to what they want to do for their customers.

I believe starting a petition through this website: "https://www.change.org/start-a-petition" - will help all of us camry/aurion owners in achieving the desired result - that is, to be treated fairly as a consumer. This is a MANUFACTURING fault and under Australian consumer law is completely unacceptable. This should not continue and I foresee in the future that there will be a recall for these dashboards - so long as enough people come forward and file a complaint.

Do not pay to get it replaced yet, wait it out - continue to hassle Toyota until they honour their company's mission and provide us with the customer service we not only deserve, but paid for.

Anyone with the same problem, please keep me updated as to what happens with your dashboard.

Check out the facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/803730803039477/
Most of us have had luck with getting our dashes replaced.

I'd say it's your particular dealer who's being an obstinate twit - A few people lately have had their claims go through quickly and without hassle, and at least one person says they heard through the grapevine that the head office is approving pretty much all the claims.
I'd recommend trying a different dealer, or at least telling that particular one that a large group of people have had success.

Even people who had to pay for the labour (but received the dash free) eventually were refunded that labour charge.

so does this only happen in the heat? i wonder if getting an analysis on the substance will speed things up, im assuming its toxic. does it smell? does it stick to you if you touch it?

for the people who have this, is your dash soft or hard? i dont think my 08 has this issue.... yet.

EDIT: Just had a look around in my car. My dash is a different grey to the rest of the car, couldnt find anything similar.

It's hardness is:

Softer than the plastic next to the air con knobs and softer than the plastic around the electric window buttons.

Harder than the sun visor (initial softness due to the cotton stuff then theres a hard plastic inside).

Couldnt find anything similar that would come standard in all cars in hardness to describe it.

Edited by dinodean

There's a reasonable chance your dash is a new one. If the colour is slightly lighter than the rest of the trim, has a new-car smell, and isn't glossy at all.
A couple of ways of spotting a melting dash is it's becoming shiny (thus reflecting a glare onto the windscreen), it feels slightly sticky/tacky, if you wipe a dry cloth against it it feels like it's getting caught (again the tackiness), or if you gently poke a spot with your fingernail, it leaves a mark that stays there, or you can even scratch the surface without any effort and the bit you scraped is gummy.

It is more pronounced when warm, but even cold there's still the shine it gives off.

There were a couple of people who were reporting reactions (such as coughing and mild breathing restriction) only when in their car with a melting dash.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am a new member here. 

Bought a pre-owned 2008 model Aurion AT-X recently. I could see that the dashboard is slightly melting in some areas. Especially when it is exposed to direct sunlight for some time.

The person from whom I bought says he is the 3rd owner of the car, so I should be the 4th owner. Will I be able to claim the dashboard replacement?

Regards,

Abhilash.

47 minutes ago, Abhilash said:

Hi,

I am a new member here. 

Bought a pre-owned 2008 model Aurion AT-X recently. I could see that the dashboard is slightly melting in some areas. Especially when it is exposed to direct sunlight for some time.

The person from whom I bought says he is the 3rd owner of the car, so I should be the 4th owner. Will I be able to claim the dashboard replacement?

Regards,

Abhilash.

You will need to contact your local dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

New member here also guys and yes you've probably guessed it... My dash is melting too. I've never seen anything like it. Sourced a quality dash mat to eliminate the glare while driving and have been using a sun visor to reflect some of the heat when parked in the sun. Don't have the courage to lift up the mat to see how bad it's gotten!

To all that have issues regarding their dash melting. I work for a dealership, Toyota Australia are aware of this dash melting concern other than Aurions. (Prado 120 series, ZRE152 Corolla) The reason they excrete sap/wax substance is from high humidity or high temperatures.  

If your vehicle meets age requirements (vehicle is 10 years or younger since first production date) and have clear visual melting of your dash. Toyota should replace your dash pad under a customer satisfaction exercise free of charge. I know this fix wont be available forever so if you do have this concern, take it to your local dealership now. Hope this sheds some relief for all you follow members. :)

That's reassuring to know, I was really thrown off by the dash slowly coming apart on my TRD. I had no idea of the issue until long after I bought the car. Is the issue the same with the Thai and American built Camrys as well or just the Australian built ones?

Im not totally sure if it regards the overseas models. It all depends if the dashes are made of the same mixtures when they are produced. Fortunately my dash is still alright. If mine does start to deteriorate i will send in a claim at my work and ill replace it myself. 

You have to admit, blaming high humidity or temperatures for the cause is a bit of a deflection of the problem. My personal guess would be a an issue with a batch of whatever was used in the manufacture of that range of dashes which is triggered by age, and potentially those factors.
Sneaky Toyota, very very sneaky.

In a way yes it is a bit sneaky, any manufacturer doesn't want to admit that something is wrong with their brand or model. At least Toyota, unlike some, put their hand up and admit they have an issue and will replace the necessary parts for free.

• Like 1

There is a Facebook group that should be joined regarding people who have had their melting dashboards replaced. Some dealerships have been less than cooperative, but most are coming round. It's a manufacturing fault and a safety issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,I have a 2008 camry altise and have noticed for a while where my dash is not covered by the dashmat, it has been slightly sticky for about a year and if I turn the steering wheel and my fingers run near the dash,my fingernail takes out a bit of the dash.It is starting to concern me.The dash doesn't appear to be sticky so much under the dashmat, only on the exposed parts near dashmat, though whether it gets worse in the future,who knows. So i don't really know whether I should approach toyota yet. Has anyone else with a camry had a sticky or even worse dash? I have read through this topic and seems alot of people with this problem have an aurion but still they would have sourced their dashes from the same manufacturer. 

8 hours ago, davegw said:

Hi,I have a 2008 camry altise and have noticed for a while where my dash is not covered by the dashmat, it has been slightly sticky for about a year and if I turn the steering wheel and my fingers run near the dash,my fingernail takes out a bit of the dash.It is starting to concern me.The dash doesn't appear to be sticky so much under the dashmat, only on the exposed parts near dashmat, though whether it gets worse in the future,who knows. So i don't really know whether I should approach toyota yet. Has anyone else with a camry had a sticky or even worse dash? I have read through this topic and seems alot of people with this problem have an aurion but still they would have sourced their dashes from the same manufacturer. 

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/40483-07-camry-melting-dash/

• 2 weeks later...