Sticky Dashboard?

Deb Moran

2 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

So lets just say you were out of the ten year period, how much would a replacement dash set you back?

I don't have the exact figure for that, Daniel, sorry.  I would ring your dealership.  The dash goes downhill once it starts getting sticky - especially in summer temperatures.   They need the car for a full day so I am guessing it isn't cheap.   If you join the Facebook page, you will see plenty of stories about melting dashboards and replacement - or in some cases of ten year old cars, refusal to replace.  There are also photos of how bad it can actually get!   

42 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

A kidney...

Sell car with sticky dash, buy newer than '07, get sticky dash replaced for free.  Chances are you'd come out on top, and with a lot less work.

• 8 months later...

33 minutes ago, tri_willy said:

Ahhhhh I wish I came across this thread years ago... RIP in pieces

If your cars a 2008 there might still be time. Get it to a dealer

When was your date of first registration?

Edited by nzzr6

3 hours ago, tri_willy said:

Think the motor vehicle was alive in August 2008, I didnt purchase this one until April 2011 but it was from interstate so no luck for me

i would still try. I believe the cutoff is 10 years from date of first registration and 240,000 kms, but unfortunately if it was first registered in August 2008 you are probably SOL since we're now in September. Also don't think it matters  where you purchased. It applies Australia wide. How bad is your dash?

Cut off is indeed 10 years from the date of manufacturing.

My experience was painless, call any dealers and provide them the details of the Aurion and they book it in for inspection then arrange a date for the dash replacement.

If you miss the cut off they will charge you about $1k for the trouble.

My Aurion was also purchased interstate from Sydney where it spend it's next 10 years in Brisbane and had no issues with the 'silent recall'.

37 minutes ago, Speedz said:

Cut off is indeed 10 years from the date of manufacturing.

My experience was painless, call any dealers and provide them the details of the Aurion and they book it in for inspection then arrange a date for the dash replacement.

If you miss the cut off they will charge you about $1k for the trouble.

My Aurion was also purchased interstate from Sydney where it spend it's next 10 years in Brisbane and had no issues with the 'silent recall'.

Fairly sure it is date of first rego, since as the problem got more widespread they just ask you for VIN so they can see date of first rego, and if you're good you'll get approved for replacement without them asking to look at the dashboard. 

• 4 weeks later...

I missed the 10yr "warranty" period by 3 months. My local Toyota dealer didn't want to help because I did not get the car serviced at the Toyota Service Centre, but rather at my local qualified mechanical service centre. 

I have decided to re-visit this problem due to the fact that it has become so much worse. The Qld sun is winning.

Has anyone tried to implement the Australian Statutory Warranty Law (ASWL)?

This warranty requires all purchased goods to be " Fit for Purpose" and are covered by ASWL beyond any stipulated by the manufacturer or seller.

Im pretty sure 10 years is long enough "fit for purpose" and its a customer service exercise not warranty two completely different things. Id be embarrassed to harrass a manufacturer or its franchised dealers about an issue with my ten year old product... 

Thanks for your response Adamsy. Toyota have been aware of this problem for a long, long time. Surely it is not unreasonable to expect a recall, years ago.

I wish to differ on the service exercise, as, I believe, the problem clearly fits the legislation for breach of Statutory Warranty.

Anyway, my post is simply asking, has anyone attempted to go down this path?

12 hours ago, LaurieM said:

Thanks for your response Adamsy. Toyota have been aware of this problem for a long, long time. Surely it is not unreasonable to expect a recall, years ago.

I wish to differ on the service exercise, as, I believe, the problem clearly fits the legislation for breach of Statutory Warranty.

Anyway, my post is simply asking, has anyone attempted to go down this path?

It's a 10-year period not because it's a customer relations exercise, but because they are obligated to do so under Australian Consumer Law. You would normally expect something like a car's dashboard NOT to melt within that 10 year period. In fact, no-one expects their dash to just melt, otherwise it definitely is not fit for purpose and is also a safety hazard. However, having said that, you're past the 10 year cut-off date. So your chances of getting it rectified are now low and there is no longer a legal obligation for Toyota to replace the dash for free.

Thanks GDude. I've had the car for 7yrs and used a dash mat, just to offer protection, not realising what was happening underneath, until I removed to mat.

I understand where you are coming from and have come to the realisation that, if I want anything done, i'm on my own. Therefore I am looking for a quote to replace the dashboard.

I only hope that the replacement is not from old stock, with the same problem. I have thought about offloading the car and upgrading but its too hard and too costly. Still love the car and it has low k's for its age, is i'd prefer to keep it.

Might just need to replace the dash mat.

Laurie do you have FB?

There is a FB from memory called 'sticky dashboard' or something close to it, Toyota aren't the only ones with issues, I recalled Mazda and Honda too was on the hook for free replacements. I also recalled it's about $1,000 out of pocket if you missed the 10 year cut off.

Assuming you are in SEQ I got mine done with Southside Toyota.

4 minutes ago, LaurieM said:

Thanks GDude. I've had the car for 7yrs and used a dash mat, just to offer protection, not realising what was happening underneath, until I removed to mat.

I understand where you are coming from and have come to the realisation that, if I want anything done, i'm on my own. Therefore I am looking for a quote to replace the dashboard.

I only hope that the replacement is not from old stock, with the same problem. I have thought about offloading the car and upgrading but its too hard and too costly. Still love the car and it has low k's for its age, is i'd prefer to keep it.

Might just need to replace the dash mat.

They don't appear to be from old stock as it doesn't fit as well as the old one. Its also a slightly lighter grey that. But it sure beats a melting dash.

Just now, nzzr6 said:

They don't appear to be from old stock as it doesn't fit as well as the old one. Its also a slightly lighter grey that. But it sure beats a melting dash.

They are brand new, it has that nasty plastic smell when I got the car back. 

• Like 1

Thanks Speedz. I just received a quote from South Side Toyota ($1485 incl labour). I'm on the Gold Coast, so I will suss out some options. Don't like to idea of a different colour though.

Thanks for the info.

It's not a completely different colour, the new dash is like 1/4 a shade lighter than the old dash in fact just put some dash spray and it look like the rest of the trims. 

I seriously did not notice it after 2 - 3 days.

Try and give Southside a call and see what their quote is like, hopefully it's cheaper than what you got. Otherwise you might just have to be good with the tools and order the part yourself and work on it.

On 02/10/2018 at 11:40 AM, GDude said:

It's a 10-year period not because it's a customer relations exercise, but because they are obligated to do so under Australian Consumer Law. You would normally expect something like a car's dashboard NOT to melt within that 10 year period. In fact, no-one expects their dash to just melt, otherwise it definitely is not fit for purpose and is also a safety hazard. However, having said that, you're past the 10 year cut-off date. So your chances of getting it rectified are now low and there is no longer a legal obligation for Toyota to replace the dash for free.

Your given 10 years/240,000kms to make a claim. What more do you want? If it hasnt occurred within 10 years then theres a better than average chance that your like me and the vast majority of 40 series owners who don't have the problem. If they gave us 12 years to claim then somebody a month outside of that time frame would be sooking. It has to be cut off at some point and 10 years is surely fair enough. 

Thanks for your response Adamsy. I don't think your TASMANIAN experience is relevant. If your dash becomes too hot all you have to do is REDUCE the temperature of your aircon. There is no comparison between the summer temps in Tassie and that of Qld. As for the vast majority of satisfied 40 series owners, we are up to page 7 on this forum and this is only one of many with other topic headings, just on this website.

I believe Toyota could have handled this issue better.

However, as I've said earlier, I am now going to stop "sooking", suck it up and repair it myself. My car has relatively low k's, I love it and can't find anything else I'd rather have, without paying squillions of $.

Thanks one and all for your input.

2 hours ago, LaurieM said:

Thanks for your response Adamsy. I don't think your TASMANIAN experience is relevant. If your dash becomes too hot all you have to do is REDUCE the temperature of your aircon. There is no comparison between the summer temps in Tassie and that of Qld. As for the vast majority of satisfied 40 series owners, we are up to page 7 on this forum and this is only one of many with other topic headings, just on this website.

I believe Toyota could have handled this issue better.

However, as I've said earlier, I am now going to stop "sooking", suck it up and repair it myself. My car has relatively low k's, I love it and can't find anything else I'd rather have, without paying squillions of $.

Thanks one and all for your input.

Correct, you burn in Tasmanian in 10 minutes during summer thanks to the UV levels down here, you can spend an hour in QLD in the sun.

You make it sound like its every second 40 Series Camry and Aurion is affected when that's far from the case. 

How many people actually bought these cars new for 45-50k and service with Toyota & have "Good will" as opposed to bought it second hand as the 3rd owner and never returned to Toyota for anything but service campaigns or recalls? Just out of interest? 

I remember now why the early adopters of this forum all left now.. It's become embarrassing. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 7:49 PM, Adamsy said:

Your given 10 years/240,000kms to make a claim. What more do you want? 

Not really . I took my car in for service at 3 years old and mentioned that the dash was getting sticky . I was told that It was just me . At 5 years it had begun to turn to chewing gum and still it was just me . At 8 years it was literally starting to run and they had finally admitted that there was a problem . So really there was a ~2yr window where they were offering to rectify the problem before the 10 year limitation . Then they offer a solution but never notify anyone of it , I received all of the recall notices . The only way I found out about it was through these forums . 

I think 10 years is fair but I think the dealers should of notified their customers rather than banking on most customers being unaware especially after denying the problem existed for so long .

Edited by phantompisser

38 minutes ago, phantompisser said:

Not really . I took my car in for service at 3 years old and mentioned that the dash was getting sticky . I was told that It was just me . At 5 years it had begun to turn to chewing gum and still it was just me . At 8 years it was literally starting to run and they had finally admitted that there was a problem . So really there was a ~2yr window where they were offering to rectify the problem before the 10 year limitation . Then they offer a solution but never notify anyone of it , I received all of the recall notices . The only way I found out about it was through these forums . 

I think 10 years is fair but I think the dealers should of notified their customers rather than banking on most customers being unaware especially after denying the problem existed for so long .

Today Tonight Adelaide ran a story on melting dashboards not long ago. TMCA might extend coverage beyond the 10 years?

• 6 months later...

Just had my 2008 Aurion in after the VVT Oil hose split and they replaced that as a recall, along with the power window issue and said they checked for sticky dash. Which mine doesn't have. My tip, ring your dealer first as I almost spent $800 on replacing that oil pipe and they replaced it for free. Don't ask, don't get!