Ln167r overheating issues??

Jason H

Hi all ,

I have a 1999 3.0 litre 5l hilux single cab , 285000ks , when I'm driving on the highway on 100 or 105 which my foot is pretty much planted lol , the temp guage reads a little over half and eventually goes back down to just under half when I back off to 90 , I took it to mechanic where he changed the radiator checked for blown head gasket etc and also Did my timing and a few other things , he assured me it wasn't the head or anything just the radiator , it's not overheating as bad but still sits up over half not alot but yea if over 100 like 105 or so he also fully serviced it. Please help , also it has a roo rack on the back not that it should make a difference as I shot in a old 81 and neverissed a best

Thank you

Jason

Just over half on the gauge is not bad. The reason why it is overheating is because you are going flat out. The engine can't make the car go any faster so it's obviously revving its neck out which is not good. That can lead you too blowing your engine up. It's like you trying too sprint a marathon!!!!!!

yea petrol lol I've heard the 5l is laggy but web the mechanic fixed it he said everything's fine , I've been driving it 100 kms a day for a few days now , as long I haven't got my foot flat an sit on 95 - 100 it's fine :/

How much blowby do you have? what oil are you using? any driving lights blocking airflow to radiator?. A few 100kg extra makes a LOT of difference, especially on long slight inclines. these motors normally have a cooling failure at this milage, leading to head replacement etc. Make sure the water pump is new!

I'm guessing blowby u mean smoke ?? Dosent blow any at all , had all cooling system done besides water pump :/, not sure on oil as I got the mechanic to service it while he was sorting the cooling issue out , the mechanic tested the head .

blowby: estimated by removing oil filler cap whilst idling and feeling air comingh out. Warning: may carry oil mist onto underside of bonnet. Should be moderate. If too great rings bad motor will get hot. ur at a re-ring milage. gauge is not reliable-has midrange plasticity built in. may not warn u before damage is done.

smoke: depends how bad. rings are, but usually yes. filler cap was prob put on too tight whilst motor hot. how thin is the oil on your dipstick? Is it old? be very choosy abt ur oil-change every 5000km unless using Jackmaster oil filtration. water pumps have been known to lose impellers by rust etc. leaks are usually detectable. are they big spotties? consider moving out of radiator airflow. Do a compression test-380psi normal very good, <300psi on way out. max difference between best and worst 10%. hint 1 nd 4 usually best and worst. KPa=PSI x 7 will do.