Ln167r overheating issues??

Jason H

After market digital temp guages are much more accurate than oem rubbish. I strongly recommend them. It's likely that the use of a good oil (penrite hpr diesel or similar) will resolve it for some time yet, and lightening your right foot on hot days will give you time to save up to do a ring job. The steel frame ur carrying isn't making life easy. Move the spotties will make cooling work much better. You only have some 80kw, there's limits to what that cn do. Fuel burn efficiency starts to drop off rapidly past 3000rpm on most hi speed diesels diesel fuel burns too slowly for any better than that. means rapid temp rises from there on as excess fuel being wasted. Mechaniclly, it will withstand nearly 4000rpm. fuel wise, not worth exceeding 3000rpm, less with heavy load. Too much waste and heat.

pls carefully check fan clutch-they can be refilled with fresh liquid-dealer or ebay?. makes a lot of difference sometimes. motor off and cold-fan should have low resistance to movement. motor hot, fan should have much more resistance to movement or strong air draught.

NB: don't let anyone else drive it until sorted properly. They won't care for it as much as u.

Cars lent ===cars bent! Personal Experience: the most expensive teacher.

Edited by Manxman
  • Like 1

Some blowby is normal, but eventually it becomes excessive. get an expert opinion from someone who won't profit from adverse report. best test is compression test-they show up what's happening. you must get psi/kpa readings to be useful. do it with motor warmed up.

If you're going to take it off road, try to stay in easy contact range for help until you know how cool the motor runs. Make sure someome knows where you're going and when to start looking if delayed return. Take extra water and food. Remote area engine failures can be fatal.

I know u don't know the extent of it but how many more kms could I do safely ?? I don't think it's that bad some oil spray underneath when caps of and small to moderate air ?? Blows ablsoloutly no smoke from tail pipe either

As u say, I'm not there and it's hard to tell. Do compression test and post here. that way we can be reasonably sure of what we're discussing. it will only smoke if too much fuel/oil is not being fully burnt. A sign of bad ringsd is extra power and a falling sump level. the positive sump pressure usually causes gasket leaks. Eventually it gets so much the engine runs on sump fumes and won't shut down....til it runs out of oil. When/if that happens, disconnect inlet air hoses and blank off inlet with hand to strangle it.

it's unlikely that you'll have major trouble yet IF you take it easy, partic in hot weather. Just be sensible and take precautions until you get to know your car well. That usually takes me a few months of testing. run the heater to improve motor cooling if you must.

I would consider your motor "suspect" until further evidence is found to make a better assessment. Caution/restraint is required to preserve it. Cook it, and you will regret it. Have u got a tripple core radiator? If not, get one-AFAIR they aren't std equipment. The std one is Aluminium, with plastic tanks-a dual core. I think the tripple core is after-market all brass. make sure it's the biggest one that will fit in.

Edited by Manxman

• 2 weeks later...