SOLVED: Aurion power mirror not working

Freestyla

Hello everyone. I was hoping someone could help me with what is now becoming a very frustrating problem. I have a 2008 Toyota Aurion Presara. I recently purchased auto folding mirrors, and have been trying to install them. The plug looked plug and play to the existing wiring harness so I plugged it in and tested it, only to find nothing worked. I then managed to find the LED wires and got them to wok, but to no avail on the motor. I am afraid I shorted something because now both mirrors wont respond or move as before (even with stock mirrors and everything plugged in as normal. I have thoroughly checked all the fuses (under passenger footwell and engine bay) and no fuses are blown. I have looked at all possible problems with wiring but cannot seem to located the problem. Where should I be looking??

Do you have a test light or multimeter? Check you are getting power at the plug, then see if you are getting power on the mirror side of the plug. If there is no power there start working back to the mirror controls, you may have blown a fuse on the acc (accessories) or ign which is stopping power to the mirrors. Sometimes the fuse marked Mirrors is only the first fuse in the circuit. A fuse may have blown further back. Been a while since I installed mine so my memory is a bit vague but hope that may help you somewhat.

Edited by SATORI893
  • Like 1

Sorry if I sound dumb, but I thought the Presara (being top of the line) had power folding mirrors as standard?

If not, then I wasn't aware you could retro fit them (I asked Toyota and they said it goes through the control unit) because I was going to retro fit them...

How many plugs?

How many wires in the plug?

Are they stock/genuine or aftermarket?

• Like 1

Hang on a sec...

Just had another read through, my brains is a bit all over the place... I should have noticed it earlier...

LED?

The stock Aurion GSV40R Mirror doesn't have an LED... So theses are either maybe GSV50R mirror (don't know f it would fit or if it would have an LED) or it's from something else, or maybe, there is the possibility you tried to replace the bulb with an LED, in wich case, you want the two Yellow wires. The others are Mirror controls. You would need to use a multi meter or a test light that tells you which one is positive and negative. A reverse polarity safe LED would work.

Sorry I clearly wasn't thinking.

I hope this helps.

If not let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Edited by 07Prodigy

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I will tr to provide more detail and answer the questions above which may help.

The mirror I bought is this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190631247975?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I must say item was delivered rather quickly (received within 5 days), well packaged and details of installation seemed adequate. The male plug from the aftermarket mirror fits perfectly into the female harness on my Aurion Presara. I thought this would be simple and I'd just need to hook up the motor wires for the auto folding functions. I plugged it in, and nothing, no LED indicator, no mirror motor movement. On closer inspection it all looked wrong, there were pins with wires in the plug which had no corresponding connection on the other plug, so I then knew I gotta do this the hard way. I used a test light and voltmeter to find the LED wires, which was simple because there are two WHITE/BLACK wires which are earth wires. With this found, I thought I was making good progress. I tried to test the wires for the mirror motor, but got nothing. I then noticed the mirror on the passenger side was not working (still stock and untouched). I checked all the fuses I should check (which was a pain in the *****) but couldn't find any faulty fuses. I decided to connect the module and motor wires so that I could at least get the auto fold function working, which I did.

07Prodigy, The Presara has auto tilt function on reverse as you may know, but no auto fold function, as it has no motor in the mirror case. Infact, I was hoping that I wouldn't lose the auto tilt function, since this comes from the ECU, and so really it shouldn't change (right??).

I will be rechecking all the relevant Fuses again, but can someone tell me which ones other than ECU and ACC fuses I should be checking. I have been through the wiring diagrams and pretty much checked every single fuse there is to check. I cannot notice any faulty electric operations in the car elsewhere.

I am at my wits end now, and cannot imagine what else could be wrong, unless I missed something I shouldn't.

The two yellow wires on mine are the ones on the original mirror on the indicator. Sorry I didn't think about the other side of the plug

Hmm that's odd I was sure they had it. Oh well must be thinking of something else.

The Auto tilt function like you said should be from the ECU and thus should still remain.

The motor controls...

Do you get power from coming to the plug from the controls?

If yes then it's the new mirror that's the issue.

But hang on because the other side doesn't work...

I would suggest, disconnect the battery for min of 5 minutes.

While you wait, check each fuse, both behind the glove box and engine bay, just incase you missed something and incase something else has blown.

The reason I said to disconnect the battery is some times you will get a circuit breaker or ECU that needs to be reset.

I'm not aware of any other places for fuses.

Hopefully you didn't blow up the ecu. Shouldn't have though, should be fused....

When you say is there power to the plug, are you referring to the mirror control switch or the actual plug to which the mirror connect in the door trim. If it is the latter, how do I best test for power when I am not sure which wire is which??

Thank you again for your advice so far btw

Edited by Freestyla

The miirrors you bought are much better than mine, I got them from some site in Taiwan, can't remember which, the folding module did not work, no wiring diagram in clear english came with it and communitcation with the seller after the sale was poor indeed, i ended up getting a new folding module from ebay. As for the fuses, it may be easier to take them all out 1 by 1 and check them, you never know what has blown, if there is no power at the mirror control switch then there is definately a fuse blown somewhere. Can you bench test the mirrors using a 12v power source to test all functions? Both fold and adjust. The ones I got were for a left hand drive Camry and the plugs didn't even match the car, I had to test each wire to see what combination was for each function (ie. mirror in/out/up/down) and fold, you never know what minor variations a foreign model might have. Also the plug could have the pins in the wrong order for your car. Can you pop out the pins in the new mirror's plug and swap them around? this may be the solution, I had to cut the plug off that came with my mirrors and match them to the one in my car, but some automotive plugs allow for pins/wires to be changed around. Hope that helps.

When you say is there power to the plug, are you referring to the mirror control switch or the actual plug to which the mirror connect in the door trim. If it is the latter, how do I best test for power when I am not sure which wire is which??

Thank you again for your advice so far btw

Both, test for power at the mirror plug in the door, if nothing, then the swtch/control, if no power there then it has to be a fuse somewhere. Just work your way back down the circuit.

Edited by SATORI893

Sorry ipad was taking ages to refresh.

As said by satori893 check at the plug coming out of the door that you plug the mirror into and if no power there, check the switch panel, have you got power into the switch panel?

How ever, if they still both aren't working you may either need to plug in the original again some times (as with the hazard lights) both plugs need to be in so it works.

At the plug in the door a multimeter is better but a test light will tell you which wire gets a positve power, a multimeter contacting 2 of the wires in the plug with tell you which is positve and negative for each function. Keeping in mind, when I did mine, the positive and negative can change depending on what function is pressed on the control until, for some functions a wire can be negative for some then positive for another. The pairing of the wires will vary from function to function (by function I mean up/down/in/out)

As said by satori893 check at the plug coming out of the door that you plug the mirror into and if no power there, check the switch panel, have you got power into the switch panel?

How ever, if they still both aren't working you may either need to plug in the original again some times (as with the hazard lights) both plugs need to be in so it works.

Actually for the mirrors to fold together they will need be connected somehow like the hazzard lights, I had to run wires from my folding module to both mirrors in each door, because the folding function is not standard you may need to run extra wires for this from the module. Don't give up, I found it a complete pain in the rear when installing mine, many nights drawing diagrams and racking my brain over how to get it to all work but that is the fun of modifying and adding aftermarket stuff. The end result will be worth it.

Edited by SATORI893
  • Like 1

Actually for the mirrors to fold together they will need be connected somehow like the hazzard lights, I had to run wires from my folding module to both mirrors in each door, because the folding function is not standard you may need to run extra wires for this from the module. Don't give up, I found it a complete pain in the rear when installing mine, many nights drawing diagrams and racking my brain over how to get it to all work but that is the fun of modifying and adding aftermarket stuff. The end result will be worth it.

Yes I love it's a pain but gets you're brain pumping

True that, I'm guessing the control unit sees 2pulses (indicator flashes) it unfolds and one pulse it folds?

Edited by 07Prodigy

Yeah that's right, I forgot I had to run a wire from the central locking actuator's postiive to the folding module, this signalled the mirrors to fold back on locking the car. not sure where you module gets it's fold and unfold signals from, mine fold out on Acc 'on' and fold in when I lock the doors by key or remote, they get a pulse from the actuator in my case.

• Like 1

Sounds like how Toyota would do it.

Well at least I know how to do it when I do it haha :P

Would the Lexus GS mirrors fit?

Maybe even plug and play?

Edited by 07Prodigy
  • Like 1

What happens if you lock the doors with the acc on?

Does it work with the switch or just the remote?

Never wondered about that, the module must have that built in, if acc is on and I lock the doors with the central locking switch the mirrors are unaffected, maybe the power from the acc overrides the pulse from the the door lock.

• Like 1

So I unplugged the battery for 1 hour (forgot about Toyota link who called me a minute after I disconnecte it) but that made no difference. I tested for power at the mirror switch, I assume there should be power there to the three wires but all I got was like 0.5 volts which is nothing obviously. I am led to the conclusion that there should be a blown fuse which I will be checking again hopefully tomorrow (the ACC ECU fuse). I don't know what to do if I can't find the blown fuse.