SOLVED: Camry 1992 starts then stops after 2 seconds

Ladidi

We have a 1992 Camry manual sedan. Beautiful car and well maintained. Just the other day she konked out. I can start her but then she just dies again. We have had 2 mechanics work on her, both saying it's the airflow mixture. We got a replacement air box and air meter and it's now fitted but the car is doing exactly the same thing. Does anyone have any other ideas what it may be. We've eliminated the immobiliser so we are wondering maybe fuel pump? This is a total mystery and it happened without warning. Can anyone help?

The mechanic eliminated the immobiliser. I will also ask her if she could hear the fuel pump. You can certainly smell the fuel. I will have to ask my daughter re the next question. I'm not sure if it can be started without the key being turned to the off position. I presume she has tried everything. It starts, then stops.

How long since the fuel filter has been replaced?

This is a periodic service item (50,00 klms or so?). If it has not been changed for some time, it would be a good idea to change it anyway.

It is a remote possibility, but could be the problem.

Edited by Jim.

Have the method tested that I suggested above. Start the car from the key at the OFF position, let it stall, then attempt to start the engine again without returning to the OFF position. Does it start the second time? From there, return the key to the OFF position and attempt to start again. Does it start the third time?

Also, get the "mechanic" to bridge terminals TE1 and E1 of the data link connector located under the bonnet near the LH strut tower. Read the fault codes(on the dash check engine light), if any and let us know the outcome. I think I have seen this fault before, but I will wait for further information first. Below is a list of fault codes.

0900c152801ccc74.gif

0900c152801ccc75.gif

Thanks for all your help guys. If I could get the codes checked that would be great but our can is being held to ransom at the moment. A dispute with the mechanic and us. We don't feel it is just to charge someone when you've achieved absolutely nothing. So I will keep you posted when I can find out more. Sorry.

Thanks for all your help guys. If I could get the codes checked that would be great but our can is being held to ransom at the moment. A dispute with the mechanic and us. We don't feel it is just to charge someone when you've achieved absolutely nothing. So I will keep you posted when I can find out more. Sorry.

I charge even if the car still has an issue, BUT, I do write a report with what I have tested and eliminated. If your mechanic is charging you then you should expect the same thing. By this I don't just mean "we eliminated the immobiliser". I would expect the report to say that they have checked that the fuel pump is getting power and working when the car is started, injectors are pulsing, airflow meter is working, crank angle sensor etc... these are all things that a mechanic can test and will point them towards the issue.

If you are being billed and they can't tell you anything then I wouldn't pay.

Sure. I wouldn't expect them to fault find for free BUT they haven't found the fault. And I'm not going to have an open cheque book for them to keep on trying to find the fault. Camry's of that age are not THAT complicated.

If they provide you with a detailed list of what they have tested, you are still obligated to pay as they have spent time on your vehicle to attempt to find the fault. As stated by (mr2) above.

Yes, I would ask for a written report as has been suggested above.

Also, I would take a print out of what Trent has documented for you above to the mechanic and ask if the codes were read and what the results were.

If they were not read, I would be a bit more inclined towards your position regards not paying or not paying the total billed amount.

All the above being satisfied and answered, I suspect you will have to pay as has been said.

Edited by Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. Update - Automasters did NOT have a diagnostic code for us as they did not have a computer to diagnose a car of this age ??? Anyway, after negotiation we paid $120 instead of $240 for their services and towed the car back to our own mechanic who immediately suggested it was the fuel pump. He replaced the fuel pump and this beautiful car is back on the road.

That is great news Ladidi!

I'm glad you were able to negotiate some of the bill. My understanding is that this vehicle has the OBD1 (On Board Diagnostic 1) system. This means that the ECU codes can be read without a code reader by following the instructions in the manual. It involves shorting out two of the terminal in the diagnostics socket under the bonnet.

All described in this short video here:

I got caught out myself and paid for an auto electrician who also could find the codes on my former vehicle (5SFE engine) some years ago. I've since discovered the above.

Anyway, happy motoring to you. I agree with you about the car; I have a 1993 manual trans wagon which I love.

Edited by Jim.