Blown Fuse? Interior Lights not Working.

tanny

Hi everyone.

I was changing my gear selector lights with my car on. As i put the new T5 globe the lights turned off. These lights include, the blue LED for the air con, demister, fan speed, and both gear selector lights. Have i blown a fuse? If so how can i access it and change it?

I can access the fuse box under the glove box, but not sure which one, or what type to replace it with.

here is a thread with the picture with the interior lights working. notice the gear selector and the blue led lights for the climate controls are not working: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=o58imu&s=8#.VOXVdS6z7pQ

here is a thread with the fuse box: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/18725-lighter-fuse/

can you help me?

Thanks guys

Edited by tanny

Dome light fuse is in the engine bay. Pretty sure it's the same as you boot light fuse. Pooped that suck a few time. Never noticed the selector lights tho, sounds fishey. I blew my parkers a while back that one was in the glove box. Don't bother looking for an individual fuse in there so just check them all.prick of a spot.

Good luck

Does the interior light come on?

It may just be the computer turning the lights of after absent time.

Mine does it all the time. If you leave the lights on to long the car turns them off to save battery

Hi,

the interior dashboard (speedometer section) works, clock works, Aircon green light works

except the the gear selectors, the blue led lights for the 3 climate control changes,

here is a picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=o58imu&s=8#.VOXVdS6z7pQ

Edited by tanny

You may have earthed out something in the centre console while inserting the new bulb. Does the bulb you replaced work? Where you changing the bulg to LED? If it was an LED they have to be put in the right way pos/neg or they will blow fuses. If it was a standard bulb then my guess would be 'earthed out', if LED I would look at fuses or even the LED itself may be faulty. Or those lights are on the same circuit and the bulbs have all blown, not sure how to replace or check them.

Edited by SATORI893

You may have earthed out something in the centre console while inserting the new bulb. Does the bulb you replaced work? Where you changing the bulg to LED? If it was an LED they have to be put in the right way pos/neg or they will blow fuses. If it was a standard bulb then my guess would be 'earthed out', if LED I would look at fuses or even the LED itself may be faulty. Or those lights are on the same circuit and the bulbs have all blown, not sure how to replace or check them.

hi,

it was this T5 Globe: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZD0382

I did change it whilst my car was on. I did not know there was a pos and neg side. As soon as i inserted it it just turned off. the gear selector and the climate control back blue panel.

Edited by tanny

The resistor is the striped thing you can see inside the bulb. That is the positve terminal, they have to be put in the right way or they will not work. It could be throwing everything out.

Yeah those bulbs are LED, try taking it out and reversing it, they might work then, you have to have the terminal with the resistor on the postive terminal.

Ok i will try that. Also how does that affect the climate control lights to be not working?

Edited by tanny

Hopefully they are on the same circuit, you may have blown the LED to but they have reverse polarity protection in some of them. If the LED works after reversing it, but your climate control lights don't the LED may have blown those bulbs. But don't panic yet, One thing at a time, fix the LED in the shifter, if it still doesn't work use a test light or the old T5 bulb and check there is power at the selector socket, if none then check fuses. Fuses ok and shifter light works but not air con lights then I would say the bulbs have blown, standard T5s are cheap so no big drama.

Edited by SATORI893

Yeh check the fuses, but make sure the LED is in the right way, leave it out when you change the fuse. If the fuse is blown that is a good thing, no other damage then, a test light (or multimeter) will tell you which terminal is positive in the selector bulb's socket, once you have that in right then all should be ok. I used the same T5 led in mine but I used a test light to find the positive first but I was upgrading all the interior bulbs to led so I didn't want to short circuit anything. I even changed the cigarette lighter light to LED and the ashtray light...lol

Edited by SATORI893

Hopefully they are on the same circuit, you may have blown the LED to but they have reverse polarity protection in some of them. If the LED works after reversing it, but your climate control lights don't the LED may have blown those bulbs. But don't panic yet, One thing at a time, fix the LED in the shifter, if it still doesn't work use a test light or the old T5 bulb and check there is power at the selector socket, if none then check fuses. Fuses ok and shifter light works but not air con lights then I would say the bulbs have blown, standard T5s are cheap so no big drama.

i tried it reversing with 3 different T5 bulbs with the ones i bought from jaycar. It still doesnt work anymore nor the climate control backlight. Which fuses should i test? I will have to buy new fuses tomorrow and replace all of them as a process of elimination.

If say i replace all the fuses with new ones, and still does not work. Could that mean the wires need to be replaced?

Edited by tanny

Do you park lights come on outside the car? If the don't then it's the park light fuse, if it's interior lights tho I think the fuse is called 'Dome'

Yes, i just tested it. The brake lights, the reverse lights, indicators, the lights.

Is the dome fuse located in the fuse box? i could not find it.

okay so engine, bay. i need to figure out how to access that.

Edited by tanny

Passenger side of the engine bay behind the battery. Black box.

ok i got it.

here is the image box layout: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hz2rrl&s=8

here is the image of the fuse for "Dome" : http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=520sh&s=8

is that correct? I dont have any spare fuses at the moment. Which fuse can i remove from either fuse box and see if it works?

Edited by tanny

If that fuse is blown, you could borrow that one on the left side of the box, on the cover its labelled RR FOG, that is a 10 amp and I it is for rear fog lights I think, mine has fog lights but no fuse there so that one should be ok to swap for now.

If that fuse is blown, you could borrow that one on the left side of the box, on the cover its labelled RR FOG, that is a 10 amp and I it is for rear fog lights I think, mine has fog lights but no fuse there so that one should be ok to swap for now.

okay, just looking again at my pictures i dont have the RR FOG fuse. its labelled on the box, but not physically there

The HORN fuse in the same box is a 10 amp, you can use that in the DOME to check things

Okay i used the Horn fuse and inserted it into dome fuse. it did not work. neither the climate control lights came on nor the gear selector lights.

I inserted Dome fuse into the horn, and the horn worked. this means that the fuse was not blown? so the problem is the wires?