Free wheeling Hubs

Bigfoot

Hi All, I have another question, is it necessary to have free wheeling hubs on a 4x4, I have a 1994 Surf, and was wondering what would the benefits be, and does the hubs disengage the splines where the axle comes into the hub. Not sure on how it works,would like some informed opinions thanks.

Bob.

freewheeling hubs allow disconnection of the front diff when on hard roads. the fuel saving is significant, and it helps preserve your diff. front diffs wear faster than rear ones, and they are expensive. a wise investment usually. NB if front diff disengaged make sure you btirfly engage hi 4 or lo4 at least 1/mnth to keep seals and bearing lubed, or it may have serious trouble when u need it working.

Edited by Manxman

Thanks for the reply, If I purchase free wheeling hubs, is it just a matter of taking off the axle cover on the hub and replacing it with the 6 bolt cover and hub.There is a lot to learn but I can usually suss it out pretty quickly. Short of pulling it all apart is there a good read on how its done, thanks again. Bob

I BELIEVE so, it's unlikely to make different axles for the same vehicle with the same drivetrain, tho' worse has been done...... A used set will prob be ok- see partsonline.com.au