5L Performance

RUX97

Hey everyone! Im new to this forum so please be kind.

I own a LN106R hilux has the 5L (2.8l) Diesel with an aftermarket turbo.

I am after more power, is there any suggestions to get this. i know the obvious ones like more boost. bigger exhaust but is there anything else i could do?!

Thanks

Josh (RUX97)

Hey everyone! Im new to this forum so please be kind.

I own a LN106R hilux has the 5L (2.8l) Diesel with an aftermarket turbo.

I am after more power, is there any suggestions to get this. i know the obvious ones like more boost. bigger exhaust but is there anything else i could do?!

Thanks

Josh (RUX97)

More fuel, otherwise you have covered the logical choices.

5L is 3.0L, and turbo with boost compensator is not wise, as the iron head is unable to dissipate the extra heat well. You risk either cracking it or just plain overheating it. There's an old saying : There's no substitute for cubes. more power, in this case, prob requires a bigger/more powerful motor. If you intend to drive in the remote areas of the land, I would think very carefully before you get an efi motor, as electronic fail without warning, and could put your life at risk. The 5L is the last mech injection motor, and is almost at the limits of it's power producing capacity. If you want power, get a Nissan with all it's unique problems/expenses. Otherwise you be content with what you have-a robust, servicable vehicle with good nationwide parts supplies and servicing knowledge readily available, because they are so common. They are a rice pudding job, but I don't mind. That's not important to me. I have more than adequate power, and am happy to drive like a granny. Yes I too have a turbo on my 5L, but I haven't increased the fuel supply, so it won't have more power-it will have economy at cruise.

I knew that from the year, but never mind. the 2.8 is open to a little more development, but the same problems apply-you can't much exceed 5L performance without risking encountering these troubles, particularly if you're operating in 40 deg heat or worse. I would make sure you have a tripple core radiator, as large as practical just to help out, and NEVER run it withOUT a thermostat, or it WILL cook. I know that sounds odd but it's actually correct. Google for reason.