user review 2012 Camry Hybrid HL

MrArubaato

Hi all

This is not so much a review but a few observations from an owner for the benefit of anyone who maybe interested.

My car has traveled 50,000 km now. In that time it has been problem free. Recently I went on a road trip with an European car with a 2.5L turbo diesel engine. About 900km return, mostly highway both cars fully loaded with people and luggage. Both cars were fueled and refueled at the same time at the same service station. The Camry was slightly better fuel wise. I spent $72 dollars whereas the other car spent $75.

Overtaking on highways, with a fully loaded car, was a piece of cake.

Only gripe with the road trip was a relatively small boot compared to the European boot. It was still ok, we fit a portacot, 5 bags, a medium size esky, and various bits and bobs, but loading the car was a strategic exercise. Managed to fit most things in but had to do without the pram.

I changed the tyres to Michelin primacy. In the wet of the recent storms, they had really good grip. But with the eco mode off, it can get a bit hairy, so eco mode recommended in wet weather.

Again the the storm, the side mirrors can get a bit hard to see. The blind spot monitor becomes invaluable.

Had a puncture last month. Changed the tyre by myself and had it repaired for $33 by jax tyres. Noticed the spare tyre also had an alloy wheel.

I don't think there's much difference between premium fuel and normal unleaded. So I go for 91 unleaded where I can get it, and e10 otherwise. Sometimes I put in some 98 good stuff, just to mix things up a bit.

That's pretty much it for now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review, pretty much how I found mine too.. I swapped to a 6 Cylinder Holden Calais V last September after 2 years and about 60,000 kilometres. Only had the H so was nice upgrade for goodies and styling, but always have a soft spot for Hybrids. Great combination of economy and performance!

I agree with the above. I had it for 34 months and 84,000km trouble free, no rattles or squeaks. My biggest gripe was the firm ride - bordering on harsh in the HL model with 55 profile tyres. Boot smallish, but deep - rarely a problem. Good seats, great overtaking acceleration.

I've changed to á Santa Fe Highlander, mainly for the higher seats - we are elderly people with bad knees! The Santa Fe is firm too, but with no harshness.

Can recommend the camry hybrid to anyone, but suggest a model with 16 inch wheels.

Regards, coolscan.

Hi David,

That is interesting!

I've recently been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in the hips and actually sat in a diesel SanteFe Highlander about a week ago. Was thinking something higher like that in Diesel could be our next car!

Back on topic, The H is definitely softer over the bumps and a tiny bit quieter too with the 60 series tyres. I have 45 series on the Calais and a bit harsh at times! The Hybrid sets a pretty high benchmark for quietness (quieter than my Calais)

when I switched to the michelin tyres, I was considering also switching to 16 wheels. The toyota guy said it's not recommended, gave me some reason which I've forgotten now, sounded legit at the time.

I think overtime i've gotten used to the harshness, but certainly notice a difference when I'm driving other cars.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I purchased a used late 2012 HL Hybrid with 25, 000km. Basically as new from a dealer, full service history. Have done 5000km so far. Some pointers for buyers that a short low speed test drive won't necessarily show.

1. Poor Road Noise Insulation

The tire roar above 70km/h is loud and above 100km/h on concrete surface highway's is deafening. Did a Sydney to The Entrance drive on the Pacific Motorway, couldn't hold a conversation with the back seat passengers sitting at 105km/h. Note; this is for the HL model that come with bigger 17" wheels and tires. I think the car was engineered for the 16" wheels and the 17" was bolted on after all the engineering was done. I test drove the lower spec H model after the The Entrance trip and the noise level was significantly reduced so I blame the tires on the HL, possibly very hard compound for long wear. My plan of attack is to replace all 4 tires to either Michelin Primacy 3 ST or the Yokohama DB. Also lot's of outside ambient noise such as trucks passing penetrate from the doors and roof.

2. Dead Steering

Also, forget about any steering feedback, steer with one finger softness and hope the tires are pointing where you think they are. Falcon and Commodore driver's, we always complain about local cars being shoddy with lower quality build etc..but man....they handle 4.5 times better than front wheel drive cars. You perhaps wouldn't know what steering feel is until you drive a Camry, you will become an expert overnight in steering feel and accuracy. Absolutely dead feedback.

3. Torque Steer

Be gentle on the acceleration when turning, the monster torque from the electric motor will rips the steering wheel out of your hands. Can't drive this like a rear wheel drive car. Have to adjust to this and have to adjust quick if coming from the Falcon / Commodore stablemate or else in the ditch you will go. Keep it gentle and calm.

4. Boot is small if picking up 4 people and their luggage from the airport.

Positives.

1. Makes more sense as a 2nd hand buy at $23,000 - $27,000. (2012-2013)

2. Fuel usage is bloody amazing, Constantly can hit 5.0L without ever using Eco mode or nanny driving too much. Can hit 4.5L in Eco mode and severe Nanny driving but this get's dangerous on the roads and annoys other drivers.

3. Good looker in white with dark tints and genuine painted mudflaps $150 (the mudflaps makes the car look wider and lower somehow).

4. Interior Passenger Space very good. (Not boot space).

5. Scaring people at shopping car lots when they 'hear' the car too late because it's silent.

6. Star Trek wheeeeoooo whine when slowing to a stop at red lights freaks people out waiting at the lights.

7. Last but not least, the car has BALLS for a 4cyl econobox. Rolling acceleration foot to the floor will scare most sports cars and probably the driver too if the steering wheel doesn't rip out of your hands.

Some mods I have done:

1. Dynamat sound deadening the boot, parcel shelf, under the rear seat and front doors. Probably will also do the rear doors. Doing the front doors made the JBL sound system cleaner with less distortion at higher volumes.

2. 4kg m2 Mass loaded vinyl under rear seat to the rear of front seats. Wanted to do all the way to the front but was too scared to remove front seats due to all the wiring and airbags.

3. Stainless steel LED illuminated door sills (installed myself, non genuine). One of the best 'bling' mod's you can do.

Hope I help someone Googling for info on this model.

Edited by Electricity