RentASpace's ST246 N-Edition Progression Thread

rentaspace

It is estimated to arrive in Australia on June 27. So I am very excited for that smile.png
She has a few minor issues at the moment (A/C Not functioning, Front splitter supposedly broken and what appears to be a pink stain on the Passenger carpet. But none of this is too major.
I got my full license yesterday too so I can legally drive the Caldina biggrin.png
35671831041_4f97c16442_b.jpg

35634674832_165818d9d2_b.jpg

35634673632_ae07c5c28f_b.jpg

Edited by rentaspace
  • Like 2

At the moment, A/C is not functioning, so will be investigating that (hoping its due to the aftermarket head unit),
I want a full exhaust, wheels and low as my immediate mods. Will be my daily so nothing OTT.

• 2 weeks later...
Got my Bill of Lading today, Promptly searched for the ETA of arrival and the Caldina should be in Port Kembla on June 19.
From there it will be shipped to the Customs house and than on to Compliance. Getting excited now!

Edited by rentaspace
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late update lol, been a bit busy lately.
The car arrived in NSW last week and is currently sitting at the compliance workshop in Blacktown.

Preliminary inspection has revealed that the rocker cover is leaking (no biggy), rear brake pads need replacing, rear disks need machining and a few other things that aren't too much of an issue.

I am heading out tomorrow to inspect it myself (this will be my first vieing of the car). If all goes smoothly, it will pass the blueslip and compliance easily and than have to wait another 1-3weeks for the Government to do their bit and send out the compliance plate. Than on with the boost lol.

So I inspected the car today, has a few bits of damage that wasn't on the auction sheet, but nothing serious. The car already has Tein Coilovers installed which is a bonus! Its also putrid lol, covered in dust and dirt.

Pictures:
http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/Ryan_Hutchings/slideshow/Caldina%20Import/First%20Compliance%20Photos/My%20ST246W%20N-Edition
Damage:
http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/Ryan_Hutchings/slideshow/Caldina%20Import/First%20Compliance%20Photos/Damage

Possibly was damaged during transit since the auction sheets are usually very precise. They even listed damaged steering wheel (needing replacement) so quite a possibility.

Auto only is a real stickler, but for now it will be pure convenience for my business (carrying large computers in the celica was a pain). I won't be doing any conversions whiles it is a daily.

Got confirmation early this week that my car has had all work done on it for compliance, simply waiting for the actual compliance plate now. Once that comes in, Blueslip, Rego, Insurance and drive away. Just want to drive it already haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Earlier this week I got the car, but on the drive home as I passed my dad we heard a loud grinding noise coming from the rear (Constant metal/metal sound).
Upon calling the compliance workshop to find out if anything they have done could of caused it, they said that I'd have to take it back to them. This wasn't possible as they're over 1.5hrs away and any brake issue is a serious safety concern.

Instead, I took the car to a local mechanic (Ultratune Next to Pulse Racing in menai). They put the car up on the hoist and sure enough the wheels were almost impossible to spin. He took the rotor off and the problem was found:
35763421306_cd35ef2da5_b.jpg

The backing plate, along with the hand brake shoes were all bent out of whack and were touching the rear of the rotor. Along with this, the hand brake was loose and the disk had been badly machined (I had payed the compliance shop for all 4 to be machined as I needed new pads to pass).
About 30mins of pushing and mucking around and the car was back on the road with no issues and Ultratune didn't charge me a thing for their time. Pretty bad that the compliance workshop (who assured me that there was no noise when they test drove it) didn't notice it. This would be my only complaint with the compliance workshop though, the rest of their work was fine, just seems the mechanic that did my car cut corners.

Overall I am pretty damn happy with the car, the extra power is lovely and the coild are not too hard.
I do have a few problems that I need to sort including the AC system not working at all (Including heater and demisters), Cigarette lighter not working and a bit of surface rust here and there to treat. Along with that the car needs a good clay bar and interior clean out. (Japanese owner was a smoker).

Edited by rentaspace

• 3 weeks later...

Put the Mother of all Canon Exhausts on the car lol.
Blitz Spec-R, sits about 5cm off the ground lol. Got a Cat-Delete Dump Pipe to install as well. 
35804116405_894219036c_b.jpg

35672034371_decbd10792_b.jpg

Edited by rentaspace

• 2 weeks later...

Havnt done too much to the car lately, My Girlfriend and I are moving out on the 30th and are saving as much as we can.
That said, the car itself is more fuel efficient then my celica was and hasnt missed a beat so far.
A member on Ozcaldina gave me a Climate Control Unit to test out to try and isolate my AC issues which were:
- LCD Flashed for a second and then powered off, plus all the lights constantly on.

First test of the 'New' unit resulted in a blown fuse, (I think this was my fault). Second test, and BAM:
The AC fired up right away and went cold in about 15seconds. I then put the temp up and warm air came out; Unit was working properly!

The front Fascia of my unit was in a lot better condition than the Second Working unit, so I started stripping the two units down to which I realised internally they are completely different.
Behind the Second Unit, was myriad of Radio components, and a double-story circuit board.
It appears that the 'top' board is for AC, and the bottom is for a Stock CD stacker radio system. (CD stacker front is ugly IMO).

I started stripping out the LCD Circuit Board to realise that both boards are different shapes, so we got out the dremel and cut down the new board to fit into my Fascia. The internal Cage in my car that holds all of the separate systems in place could not fit the New AC/Radio board and I had to resort to cutting and drilling the One that was given to me.
I managed to fit the Radio/AC/Storage Pocket into the Cage (which was never designed for anything more than The CD stacker and the AC. Along with fitting the Double-Din headunit that came with the car.

Edited by rentaspace