Remote key replacement

Hi guys,

The plastic casing on my remote key fob has started to crack and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the best way replacement method is?

I'm guessing it's a dealer related issue where they need to re-code the key but wasn't sure of cost or if there is a part number available.

I've attached a photo to show its current condition - cracking starts from 'lock' button.

Any advice would would be great.

post-576-0-31608300-1433213935_thumb.jpg

Edited by CheekySportivo

These key cases seem to be weak. Mine cracked on the back lid with the logo about 2 weeks back. I went online during the week to see if there are anything on replacing it, and it seems quite a few people in the States with the same key have to replace theirs.

Only the case needs to be replaced, as the remote assembly in secured as one unit inside the case itself. I've seen the cases go for around $80 on gumtree, but I didn't bother replacing it as I'm not using the second key that comes with the car. You'll need to get the new key cut after changing over the remote inside.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Entry-Key-Remote-Fob-Shell-Case-2-Button-for-TOYOTA-CELICA-CAMRY-WS-/321704886463?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4ae71b00bf

That key will work, get it cut, swap in the transmitter from your original key, the follow this guide to code the new key to your immobiliser:

The transponder chip is located in the remote module on these so you don't have to do any recoding.

What state do you live in as I may be able to help you out. I get a lot of these types of keys with broken key shells.

Thanks heaps for your replies guys.

I didn't even think to look on eBay, I would however prefer it to be done properly. Knowing my luck I'll stuff up something!

Would appreciate your help offer mr2, I'm located in Sydney.

• 2 weeks later...

Get it from eBay. I got a couple cases for 10 dollars and put the insides in then got the new key cut. Or you convert to a flip key also which uses the same internals from your old key