Replace or repair?

Hi People,

I have a Toyota Aurion TRD 2007.

Had a small accident today (a dog ran out onto the road, car was behind me so stopping not an option. Decide to swerve toward footpath- Dog is OK) and now I have a crack on my front bumper cover and a crack on diffuser/front lower spoiler- the grey part around fog lights.

Went to a few different mechanics, 2 said it must be replaced, 1 referred me to one of the mechanics who recommended repl and 1 mechanic said he could repair but had no availability for next few weeks.

First mechanic advised repl, but to look online for parts and he can fit and paint at a reasonable price.

Other mechanic who advised repl said he can get front bumper cover for $1349, diffuser for $936 and with labour, totaling $3000.

Spoke with Toyota who said for front bumper cover alone is $290 (OEM)

online seller has front bumper and diffuser combined for $499.

I have a few question:

1. Is the mechanic who advised $3k insane? (as he asked alot about my insurance details when I only came in to see what he`d recommend i.e who with/excess/type and level of cover).

2. Does anyone know a honest/good mechanic near the Hurstville NSW 2220 area? or wrecker?

3. Opinion on repairable or just replace?

4. Has replaced front bumper cover with non OEM part and if any issues? (appearance or installation, I understand the it will not "clip" on like OEM parts and may require more work i.e molded to fit, screw holes made etc)

Any advice is appreciated,

Cheers

post-38019-0-99914100-1433244341_thumb.j

Don't take it to a mechanic, take it to a panel repair shop. $3000 isn't that ridiculous to be honest. You will have a fair bit of trouble getting one from a wreckers.

In summary:

1. He would have been asking, as it may be cheaper to go through insurance, rather than pay from your pocket.

2. Panel repair shop.

3. Likely have to replace with OEM new/used.

4. The TRD Aurion has minimal aftermarket parts available.

Is it only the plastic parts in the bumper assembly that are damaged?

I had what I term moderate to severe damage to my rear bumper from a trailer that was not properly attached.

I took it to a local panel shop that does plastic welding and reconditioning, and he repaired it for a few hundred dollars.

Also matched the paint from the code on the door pillar, and one would never know that it had been damaged.

Have you looked at that alternative?