1990 Camry Station Wagon Clunking noise upon releasing brakes

tigerzen

I have a 1990 Toyota camry wagon. Whenever I take off from a stationary position at the traffic lights or starting out from home, there is a clunking noise from the rear of the car as I remove my foot from the brake pedal and accelerate. The only time it doesnt make the noise is if I am taking off on an incline going up hill. It does it when I first reverse as well. The brakes seem to be operating fine under running conditions. The brake cylinder was changed on the rear left brake about a month ago. Have checked the brake fluid and it is fine. Can anyone suggest what the problem might relate to?

Has there been any sign or burning brakes, smells or excessive heat?

No, I expected to find heat as I thought that there might be a sticking brake but all clear as far as heat goes.

Not really a silly question but are you 100% sure the noise is coming from the back? It sounds as though there is a traction aspect to the occurence.- and we have a front wheel drive. No traction change to the rear mechanism.

Thanks for your help, took it back to mechanic, diagnosis is that the wheel cylinder is leaking slightly and the disc pads have brake fluid on them so will need to re-do the wheel cylinder.

Also said that the caster bushes at front are worn and should be replaced, I may start a separate post for this but the mechanic reckons it's not that easy a job on my camry and may take a few hours, wondering whether anyone else has done these and just how hard they are.

• Like 1

I'd wait until the brake fluid leak job is done and see the result. Caster bushes would surely be a big job, alignment involved, but really may be the 'clunking' source.

Got the car back brakes seem to be ok but the car has only been on a short journey so far, the caster bushes are driving me mad though and will have to be the next job.