Mr Lee

Hi All,

Sudden noise the other night when driving home. Checked it out the next day and still persistent. From my googling efforts and reading forum posts, it seems like it is the infamous water pump.

I am in Adelaide. Been quoted $1980 at one toyota stealership (typo) and $1468 by another for the replacement. The usual story is that it is engine drop and will take up to twelve hours.

What are your experiences with this? Anyone had theirs done at a non Toyota Dealership?

Please see video below that shows where the sound is coming from..

https://youtu.be/FNoV4xhn3fA

• 3 weeks later...

Bummer. How many km on yours? I did read that some mechanics had worked out that they could replace without removing the motor? Apparently much cheaper than the factory solution, will see if I can find a link.

On another note make sure your vvti oil line that was meant to be replaced under a 'limited service campaign' has been done correctly. A yellow line indicates the rubber replacement, or if you are lucky it will have the much better full metal line that was introduced on 2009 production onwards. My brother inlaw had his 2008 Kluger almost empty the engine of oil, apparently the dealer where it was serviced had not even fitted the factory rubber correction (or had fitted the same defective part as was reported happening in the US) as a replacement http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/02/toyota-offering-to-fix-oil-lines-on-nearly-1m-six-cylinder-model/ Lucky not to have blown the motor!

Edited by wilsact

Hi @wilsact

233000 kms..

It ended up costing me $1297 - took 6 hours to do at a Toyota dealer beginning with J.. with new coolant as well. They did replace a hose with a metal one under a recall, I will check if it's the vvti one.

Amazingly the Kluger went in for a service a month ago at a dealer beginning with CM..(could have been same dealer as your brother in-law) and they did not even talk about the hose...they were also $700 more expensive and needed the vehicle for 3 days.

Shows it pays to shop around. The service at J.. was more than amazing and to top it off...really good coffee too !

M

Bummer. How many km on yours?

On another note make sure your vvti oil line that was meant to be replaced under a 'limited service campaign' has been done correctly.

When the oil line degrades, does it actually drip oil? I guess the oil has to go somewhere and the oil pressure light would come on?

Nah it can fail very quickly and without warning.

Edited by trentmeyer23
Removed rant. If you have an issue with an action of a moderator, contact them via PM. There is no need to go on a rant about it.

• 1 year later...

Our ZR6 RAV has developed this water pump noise.  I was advised there is two noises, water pump $1800 and timing chain tensioner $700 from my dealer.  When I said I might shop around they presented a $50 inspection fee.  They quoted they will have to drop the motor etc.  I spoke to a private guy who reckons he can have a crack for about $500.  I don't think his $500 is realistic when he gets started but it has to be a hell of a long way from $1800.  Thanks for the post.

1 hour ago, Sunsett said:

Our ZR6 RAV has developed this water pump noise.  I was advised there is two noises, water pump $1800 and timing chain tensioner $700 from my dealer.  When I said I might shop around they presented a $50 inspection fee.  They quoted they will have to drop the motor etc.  I spoke to a private guy who reckons he can have a crack for about $500.  I don't think his $500 is realistic when he gets started but it has to be a hell of a long way from $1800.  Thanks for the post.

Any chance you're in Adelaide? I have a reliable mechanic now who will most certainly give you the right diagnosis at the best price. 

Thanks Trent.  I agree and realise it is optimistic. He said he would have to do some home work. 

Mr Lee. Thanks for the offer. Sadly we are nearly 500km from Adelaide. I would love to have  good Toyota mechanic close by. Not willing to risk such a long trip with a dodgy water pump. 

• Like 1

Attached is some very recent Google searches I have done for replacing a water pump on 2GR FE engines. Please go to the URLs for the associated photos. There is repetition for the different models in the USA. Appears that the engine can be jacked up after loosening the engine mounts to provide the room to remove the water pump. One contributor reported doing the water pump replacement in 2 hours for their vehicle. Others have reported 4-7 hours.

I did note [and action] a comment about having a serpentine belt removal tool which is quite handy for working in tight spaces.

2GR FE Water Pump Removal Information.doc

• Like 1

My 2008 Kluger water pump went at 95000 and was quoted $2000.00 usual story engine needs to come out. However my mate did it in approx 3 hours(licenced mechanic) without removing the engine. Yes it was tight but he had the right tools. He also got the pump at trade price which was $180.00 i was quoted $700 for part. Guess i was lucky he had a go. Toyota know the engine doesnt need removing but i guess it makes it easier for the apprentice they pay $15 an hour. 

• Like 1

Yep,

Definitely not owning a Toyota ever again. They used to be 'peoples cars' and 'affordable'

Glad you got it sorted !

Cheers

After an initial indicative quote of $500 to do the water pump, it cost $750.  From what I have read so far I was quite please with that result.  The job was done in the car unlike Toyota wanting to take the motor out and charge $1800.  The other consideration is that Toyota also wanted to do the timing chain tensioner for another $700 if needed and you can bet your back side it would have "needed doing".  This is the first time that I have used this mechanic, he researched what needed doing (hasn't seen many ZR6's) and did it in a day.  Happy RAV owner again.  

Edited by Sunsett
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone on this forum,  I am a family man that has moved from western Australia to Queensland. On the drive over we hit a kangaroo in my 2003 kluger cv. Car is a write off so we are looking at a newer model for around 10k or under. I know toyos are expensive and wanted to ask anyone on here if you bought one that has 200000ks on it + what if any issues should i look for? I know timing belt and water pump replacement can be costly! Most dealers or private owners usually say they have no idea about the timing belt etc. How can I research this before buying? And do they (klugers) have a problem above 200000ks? Was looking at a 2008 or 2009 model awd. One had 180 on odo other had 220. Can anyone help me?? Thanks. 

Ryan, the V6 2GR-FE engine fitted to the Kluger and Aurion has a timing chain. Engine should be good for 400K before any serious work is required.. However, this engine is more prone to engine sludge than other modern engines so regular oil and filter changes are essential.

Recently, I replaced the alternator on my 2007 Aurion with 207,500 kms on the odometer. As [slow moving] DIY, it took me approx. 4 hours to remove alternator then 3 hours to fit the new one.

Approx, 200K, I had to replace the rear VVTi oil line when the rubber hose mid-section sprung a leak fortunately early Saturday morning and I already had the parts. This was replaced with a full metal line and took me lots of hours.

Another 2gr-fe Aurion owner here, currently 167.600k, the only engine specific issue I had was the water pump, started dripping & spitting around 125k, then after about 7000 kilometres more and fortnightly top ups decided to leave this world for a better one. AU$600 all up at the local mechanic for pump replacement & coolant. Other items to check are the spark plugs, the 3 at the back are a b!tch and the transmission, while generally reliable they don't like being neglected, especiall if they've done some towing. For a 4wd you may want to look at servicing the transfer case if necessary. At that mileage service history is essential. As Ashley said, these engines tend to sludge up if neglected.