Gen 1 Avalon Boot Release

HoldenBoi

I recently bought a 2000 model Avalon but the electric boot release is not working. The solenoid is working fine as I switched it with a known good unit, the problem is in the wiring. using the button on the keyfob gains the same result; the system registers & the horn chirps but, the boot refuses to open...

All attempts to google the issue have failed. I've checked all fuses, which seem to be ok. While inspecting the glovebox release switch I also noticed there is no power to the glovebox light; are the two connected? What fuse should I be looking for? Some suggestions say "dome light fuse" which is ok & all the interior lights work...

I could really use some help with this one; a link to a wiring diagram would be extremely helpful...

Yep, everything works except the boot release & glovebox light; central locking on both the keyfob & drivers door switch are fine...

I was a bit concerned with the shifter light because I replaced the stock globe with an LED which blew (huh?); when I refitted the stock globe, it still worked...

Out of curiousity, can you open the boot with a key? Might be some kind of valet lock in place (so you can keep stuff in the boot at a hotel and the valets can't get it out)

Check to see if there's a hidden key barrel somewhere under the dash or inside the glovebox - on our Soarer (which had an electronic boot release) there was a push-button next to the boot release lever that set it in valet mode, disabling the solenoid and only allowing the boot to be opened with the master key. The same master key (rather than the valet key) had to be used to unlock the push-button (which had a key barrel in it) to allow the boot release switch to work properly

I've had the entire glove box out & I didn't notice anything...

Previous to this car, I had another which was almost identical & never had a problem with the boot release; I could be wrong but, I'm convinced it's a wiring issue...

• 7 years later...

I have exactly the same problem with a 2001 Avalon Grande id you ever find the problem? I checked the wiring loom near the drivers side boot hinge and it looks to have been "crunched" at some point (may be the problem). Any help advice would be appreciated.