Noobie looking for tips when buying a Supra.

Rambo Motin

Hi guys! Thanks for reading in advance! Have always had a thirst for a supra all my life and am looking to finally buy one.

Am 17 that's just started my green P's and need know what to look for in the ads in terms Mileage, potential problems and all that.

Am not able to by an Turbo/TT because I am still on my P's but am thinking is it really worth it in terms of fuel consumption coupled with not being into races/drags and being mostly into modding the cosmetic side because I like to turn heads?

My budget is 10-20k, and am preferably looking for a clean 2JZ JZA80, looked after, stock/close to it ( wouldn't mind a few small performance mods) , latest of non turbo models. Planning to mod the cosmetic side mostly so what things should I be looking out for in the ads?
Thanks for your time!

:)

Edited by Rambo Motin

I was quoted $3000 per annum when I was 19 for a $15000 N/A Supra. That put me off buying it. However do some quotes online.

I just had a look at Just Car and they want $1500 per annum for an $8000 vehicle for a 17 year old.

can you afford the fuel usage ?

For a non turbo? For sure. Not gonna even worry about a turbo/TT supra because i can't drive one anyway

Nice, thats 15L/100km you think you can afford. (Used to drive a skyline when i first started driving, @300kms per tank ... it wasnt really a smart choice driving one for maccas pay)

now as per above; insurance will raep u, car is old so its gonna break down more than usual (if uve got mechanical experience then itll be a bit easier) so you gotta pay for repairs/parts etc. Want to turn heads ? sure, even cops will look. Just to keep a few things in mind.

My opinion is, get something cheap and reliable, which will do you for a few years and when you can afford it buy a decent car that you can afford to run.

^ +1

Supra ads in general I mean. What to look out for and stuff.

Ads will only have what the seller wants you to know. Get a mechanic to inspect the car before even considering it.

• 4 months later...

If haven't bought a car and you're still looking, Fuel cost @ $75 a fill may be an issue on an Auto on the Econ setting mileage may be reasonable i can't be specific, as i switch as required to OD off, Power or Manual, that keeps me Happy with my 145BHP, Probably less, as i'ts pushing 300k.!! ... I like the look of the '86 Model, all Later Models IMO all look the same, now looking for TT & 5 speed bits, not many to go now.!! ...Good luck in your searching, Cheers Geoff.