My long term Aurion review

stink989

I bought my 2006 aurion ATX in May 2011 with 88,000km.

It started life as a hertz hire car for 30,000km. From there it was a family care until I purchased it. Now this car has not been babied. I did 2 years on my green Ps in this car and flog it every time I drive it. This thing has been bottomed out hard enough to activate the blinkers and whipers, crossed creeks, towed bike trailers and spent time on dirt roads.

I have taken out quite a few pieces of wildlife with this car with one big hit almost sending it to the grave. It has had 1 minor roo hit. 1 major roo hit. Lots of smaller animals (rabbits foxes etc). So far it has had the bumper replaced 2 times and the 3rd is about to be fitted from a fox the girlfriend hit last night.

It is also on its 4th windscreen.

Now it has covered close to 300,000km!! Without 1 fault at all. Other then normal servicing and running costs nothing has worn out or failed. All bushes, shocks joints are still ok! I fitted a new set of front brake pads and fan belt at 160,000km but that is all that has needed doing so far.

It runs the stock size 16inch wheels and has mich energy xm2 tyres. These are lasting about 70-80k.

I have done a minor service with oil, oil filter and a check over every 5,000km using genuine filters and basic mineral castrol oil. Gearbox with genuine oil every 30,000 or so (not a full flush just doing a basic drain and replacing what came out). The major (spark plugs) has been done every 100,000km. With the last major a few weeks ago (close to 300k) I replaced the water pump,belt,idlers just to be sure it wasn't going to fail as I have seen some let go. All the bearings and the water pump all looked perfect when pulled off and inspected. I still replaced them all to be sure.

The only faults I could pick from the car are.

The stereo being very bright! I did fix the issue by putting window tint on the screen and cutting the wire to the backlight to make it think it was in daytime mode. This made the lights around the buttons not light up.

No AUX. fixed with the mod found on this forum.

The fuel flap has never fitted right and the lock doesn't hold it closed. I'm sure I could bend the flap to make it work but it's not really an issue.

I have done very few mods as for my usage I didn't need anything really.

It has one of the mesh grills with a pair of driving lights mounted behind the mesh along with a 26inch led light bar fitted to the lower grill. (And yet wildlife still gets taken out)

Led strip light in the boot.

Dash mat as I found the dash has a lot of glare.

Genuine seat covers.

This car is now my girlfriends as I have moved into a VE SS ute so I gave it to her.

For a car with this much power it still gets 8L/100km on the highway and doesn't miss a beat or use a drop of oil!

I would buy another aurion in a heartbeat!!!

post-23381-0-45621300-1437820776_thumb.j

post-23381-0-73403200-1437820820_thumb.j

post-23381-0-80342600-1437820905_thumb.j

post-23381-0-31936900-1437820992_thumb.j

• Like 4

300000km! That's awesome mate. Just put a deposit down today for an 09 Aurion so it's good to hear with a little TLC it'll go the distance. Not too many Roos around Newcastle either so fingers crossed I don't go through so many front bumpers.

Fantastically detailed long term review Lincoln ! Great to read this after just buying my Aurion, so glad I made a good choice. Keep going with the updates and hopefully avoid any more wildlife strikes with the girlfriend behind the wheel.

The water pump replacement is a pain in the bum!

All the right had side engine mounts undone. Jack the engine up and down a dozen time to get to different mounting bolts for the water pump and a few other parts. The engine doesn't need to come out but it has to be lifted a long way. Very time consuming!

Good read. Wow your car still going strong! Mine's a 2011 one of the few last model build of Touring SE before 2012 ones came out. It now has only 35,000 kms which should actually be 75,000 kms but i live close to the city so short car drive between work and home but i also go to play darts on tuesday night and thursday night so that involved alot of driving (some can be 20 or more kms from my home) plus cos i lost my licence for 6 months last year which meant i managed to save the car from having extra kms on it.

Had a good long run during the weekend I spent in Augusta back in late may. I will do another long run in late September during queen's birthday long weekend over here in W.A. to Geraldton.

Yet to make contact with large wildlife such as kangaroos etc in W.A. *touch wood* although occasionaly birds for unknown reason seem to not hear me coming until too late which i can feel a thump or when they actually fly straight to underneath my front bumper which again for unknown reason (I am still looking into what attracted the birds to my lower bumper in first place).

Since owning my 2008 ZR6 I cannot fault it. It is a solid, well built, comfy and bloody quick car. Still being on my Ps I do thrash it but no matter what I have thrown it into, be it ridiculously fast hill runs or long trips it has never failed to disappoint. I've only had the car for 10 months and almost clocked up 35,000kms on it and it has never missed a beat.

100% satisfied with my aurion!