Warning Aurion car theft

Hi

Just a warning to all fellow members, last week my 2006 Aurion ATX was stolen in Sydney (keyed entry)!

I thought as a modern car the my Aurion was difficult to steal, so I was SURPRISED when the police constable - before I even told her the car model - said, "don't tell me it's a Toyota Aurion".

I'd like to open a discussion on this, she said the Aurion has an easy ignition switch under the steering wheel. Does anyone know about this? News to me!

If this is true I suspect my vehicle was also targeted because of the keyed entry making it easy to screwdriver in.

Any auto electricians out there want to comment on the ignition switch rumour? What can we do to prevent this?

If you live in Sydney be cautious, I was completely suprised car theft was a rising issue again -according to the police audii also are being targeted.

I guess this is where keyless start pays off.

Ironically the current trend is for keyless cars being stolen easier by people using signal boosters to up the range of the transmitter, allowing the thief to enter the car in your driveway etc whilst your keys are still in the house (since there's no code cracking, it's just a simple amplifier)

I guess this is where keyless start pays off.

Ironically the current trend is for keyless cars being stolen easier by people using signal boosters to up the range of the transmitter, allowing the thief to enter the car in your driveway etc whilst your keys are still in the house (since there's no code cracking, it's just a simple amplifier)
Our Aurion is insured for more than it is worth, so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. ;)
  • Like 1

Wouldn't screwdrivering open a door set off the alarm though, as long as the car had been locked?

I know I tested out, by accident, the alarm on my car one day by going to open the bonnet half an hour after popping it, forgetting I'd locked the car after jumping out.

And an easy switch just seems silly, I'd wager the officer had misheard information, potentially been misled or just misinterpreted, I've witnessed people in all sorts of professions get funny ideas in their heads that they pass on as gospel.

• Like 2

Are you kidding me mate? I thought Aurions were unstealable on account of security system being superior to VE commodores (don't know if VF commodores has addressed the security issue) or Ford Falcons.

I would be curious to hear more about this one, I would be sceptical about taking the police officers comments as gospel. Do you remember your key having a letter stamped on the blade of the key at all? It should have had a H stamped on there?

I have been Locksmithing for 15 years now and mostly with Auto. Every week I make keys to "unstealable cars", there is no such thing.

With a key code from a dealer you car can be driven away in under 5 minutes, this doens't just apply to Toyota either.

As Hiro said with keyless ignitions these are infact easier (for most cars) to start without a key. Id does take some expensive tools to do it but for someone stealing cars its a small outlay for a big profit.

What I am surprised about is how car manufactures are going about making cars "secure" by complicating the keys, a good start would be cutting communication to the OBD until the ignition is turned on, or even having some type of authentication via OBD to get access to the cars computers..

I would be curious to hear more about this one, I would be sceptical about taking the police officers comments as gospel. Do you remember your key having a letter stamped on the blade of the key at all? It should have had a H stamped on there?

2006 is a 67 not a H.

Yeah I got that Brendan, hence the comment below the original. I initially thought he had a 2011 because I didn't read the post properly. But thanks for correcting me.

Following up, while we are nitpicking I would like to point out I have been a locksmith for 18 years but only really been involved in automotive for the last 2 years and I am still learning. However your comment about cutting communication till ignition is on shows how little you must actually know. I even called a couple of locksmith mates to double check and I think you are full of crap. Every car I have done to this point has required me to make the physical key first and turn the ignition on before my scan tool could communicate. And my other locksmith mates confirm have to do the same. So you either use different diagnostic tools than the rest of us in which case please feel free share your secrets with the rest of the industry.

Also your comment about authentication to access security system via OBD is a lie. If you can program an RA rodeo in under 5 mins without the security pin you must be the greatest who ever lived. Most Opel cars require a pin, Ford require the incode/outcode process to program which is also "authenticating via OBD"

Please feel free to leave your business name on the forum here so I can pass on how awesome your locksmith skills are, maybe we could learn from you.

I might be wrong, you may be as good as your post claims. But I doubt it. If your gonna re-quote me and point out a technicality be prepared to back it up with genuine knowledge.

Just to remind you here is what you wrote "What I am surprised about is how car manufactures are going about making cars "secure" by complicating the keys, a good start would be cutting communication to the OBD until the ignition is turned on, or even having some type of authentication via OBD to get access to the cars computers.. "

I really hope you can put me back in my place and you will get nothing but respect from me. But based on that one simple sentence of yours mate I think you are full of crap!

Edited by Prontolocksmiths

Yeah I got that Brendan, hence the comment below the original. I initially thought he had a 2011 because I didn't read the post properly. But thanks for correcting me.

Following up, while we are nitpicking I would like to point out I have been a locksmith for 18 years but only really been involved in automotive for the last 2 years and I am still learning. However your comment about cutting communication till ignition is on shows how little you must actually know. I even called a couple of locksmith mates to double check and I think you are full of crap. Every car I have done to this point has required me to make the physical key first and turn the ignition on before my scan tool could communicate. And my other locksmith mates confirm have to do the same. So you either use different diagnostic tools than the rest of us in which case please feel free share your secrets with the rest of the industry.

Also your comment about authentication to access security system via OBD is a lie. If you can program an RA rodeo in under 5 mins without the security pin you must be the greatest who ever lived. Most Opel cars require a pin, Ford require the incode/outcode process to program which is also "authenticating via OBD"

Please feel free to leave your business name on the forum here so I can pass on how awesome your locksmith skills are, maybe we could learn from you.

I might be wrong, you may be as good as your post claims. But I doubt it. If your gonna re-quote me and point out a technicality be prepared to back it up with genuine knowledge.

Just to remind you here is what you wrote "What I am surprised about is how car manufactures are going about making cars "secure" by complicating the keys, a good start would be cutting communication to the OBD until the ignition is turned on, or even having some type of authentication via OBD to get access to the cars computers.. "

I really hope you can put me back in my place and you will get nothing but respect from me. But based on that one simple sentence of yours mate I think you are full of crap!

Just to nitpick then, did you notice that your quoted text was at the bottom of my main post, the only bit I corrected you on was the type of chip it uses. You are correct that there are cars like an RA that use PINS to access the immo. Your other example of the Opel cars, MOST of these the PIN can be read by OBD as well as the mechanical key code. WITHOUT having to turn the ignition on. How awesome is that, no more picking and decoding the lock to get the key code.

Now I did say "some type of authentication to access the cars computers". WIthout having an ignition ON with a lot of cars you can still get comms with a lot of the cars computers, like ECU, ABS all without needing PINS.

More on my example. Most 4D Toyotas will let you reset the immo once the ignition is on, no security no authentication, you can do what ever you want. At least with VAG cars you need to have the security PIN, or on newer VAGs a valid key or its time to take the cluster out. YEs, I do know that the PINs can also be read by OBD, but it's not always a 2 minute job.

So I still stand by what I said.about the authentication on the OBD. Yes some cars have it but most do not. and with those that do its a pretty ***** poor system. Such as Mitsubishi, Hyundai/ Kia/ Ford, GM.. At least the Euro's make it harder.

Hi guys I am not surprised to be honest, I have a mate at Toyota and he told me that the Aurion can be unlocked and started in 27 seconds if you know what to do.

That's without setting the alarm off too.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear you have suffered the same fate.

My 2007 Prodigy was stolen in July. Cops weren't surprised. The inner west in Sydney is a hot spot for Aurion and Hilux thefts. Since July, 8 more aurions and Hilux's have been taken. The appear to be easily taken. It was just outside and there was no alarm going or indication of glass breaking. I'm assuming now that other aurions are benefiting from the parts that were ripped from it. The cops agree that these cars are generally chopped up for parts.

We bought another aurion which is now parked (albeit very difficultly) in our drive way. Great cars and I'm not about to let some low life determine my choice of car simply becuase they're popular for thefts.

Lesson learned. Insure it for what it's really worth (include all receipts). We lost our 4 years olds new car seat and spare clothes/toys. I'm not happy that there are low lifes out there, but to steal knowing a kid's safety seat is in there and not care to even return this? Guess I just have ethics.

Hope it all works out for you.

My advice is get an aftermarket alarm fitted to your car and get it fitted so it cuts communication to the immo through the OBD. And make sure that who ever fits the alarm doesn't install it in the same obvious place as 90% of installers, just under the steering wheel with half a meter of cable on it is useless... hide it and cut out the cables you splice the alarm into otherwise it's a waste of an alarm.

If it's installed properly then they only way they are quickly taking your car is on the back of a truck.

Ive set the alarm off in my aurion, and i stil no idea how i did it.

Plus im a fan of an old trick, a good fashion club lock. Does the trick.

But in saying that if they really want your car they are going to get it no matter how good/well hidden your alarm system is.

A tilt tray is all they need and she in gone forever.

All i can say is say is make sure you have insurance, as **** as that sounds.

And option i have thought of is hardwiring a iphone or android phone some where hidden with a find my phone app

On it to track the car. My not get it back in one piece but you might get the assholes that stole it.

Ive set the alarm off in my aurion, and i stil no idea how i did it.

Plus im a fan of an old trick, a good fashion club lock. Does the trick.

But in saying that if they really want your car they are going to get it no matter how good/well hidden your alarm system is.

A tilt tray is all they need and she in gone forever.

All i can say is say is make sure you have insurance, as **** as that sounds.

And option i have thought of is hardwiring a iphone or android phone some where hidden with a find my phone app

On it to track the car. My not get it back in one piece but you might get the assholes that stole it.

There are already alarms with GPS tracking, there are also GPS/ GSM jammers that overcome this.

Cameras are always a winner. If you can install one (Or more) facing your car while parked at home. Obviously this doesn't help when you are not home or you live somewhere where it's not possible.

Car alarms are not a 100% guarantee but if your car alarm is screaming and they can't quickly disable it then they will move on to an easier car. It's not about making your car or house impossible to get in to you just have to make it harder than everyone around you.

• 5 years later...

Hi I have a aurion 2007 that was stolen with key and sencer in it we think now can't find spare.s any where now they say it will cost over $2000. To get it started with new key and sencer. Is there cheaper way .help would be greatly appreciated 

37 minutes ago, John beel said:

they say it will cost over $2000

Who told you that ?? If you have the Original log books, there inside you will find the key number. If you take that key number to your local locksmith, one who programs keys, he will be able to duplicate the new keys for you. I seriously doubt it's $2000. That seems ridiculous.

Try Toyota first if you haven't already, then find an automotive locksmith. They are all over the internet. Get different prices and compare.

Let us know how you go ok.

Thanks .I have talked to auto electrician at where car is and they told me that price but said they didn't have tools to do it  iam 11 hours away from car just trying to get it home the impound yard said wheels locked hard right so can't just pull strait to put on trailer