car will not start

sole

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help.

My 92 ln106 2.8diesel is not starting. I had an issue with the starter motor locking up (the dreaded tic). so I swapped it out and it was all good for a day or so and then bam same issue it would not start again only now the starter is not making the tic sound it is silent minus the sounds from the relays.

Battery is all good power is getting to start and relays checked with multi meter.

What else could it be ?

Sounds like the teeth on the starter are not matching that on the flywheel. When the starter is removed are you able to look in using a torch and have a look for any damaged/ burred teeth on the flywheel

Was the replacement new or used? Starters are fairly simple. they need good brushes , commutators and bearings, AND a VERY clean set of battery and power connections. And a good battery for a diesel!!! test battery for at least 550CCA, discard if less. replace with 720CCA min. recent cold snap may have killed it. Check solenoid connection, make sure it has power from key on crank--switches do fail if heavy loads hung on them. Cheap wrap around oem batt terminals are rubbish. replace with brass ones that have a post and butterfly nut to quickly disconnect cables. Do NOT overtighten them, firm enough to just stop movement is enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had an issue with my last hilux (1994). For a while it felt like the battery would drain overnight, but then if i jumped it in the morning it would start first time for that day, then same again tomorrow. Battery place told me there was little to no drain on the battery, and the battery wasn't the issue. Then it stopped starting even with a charge pack connected.

I reco'd the starter motor (which needed it) and it worked for about a week, then same problem.

Housemate is a mechanic, identified faulty relay. (Top right hand corner of engine bay, right in front of passenger seat.) It worked for a few days, then same.

Performed a full service with a wire brush over all exposed points tracing back from battery,

Found a wire that had been earthing out, that looked like it may have been connected to a spotty that was removed, but left the wire behind.

Taped and secured the wire - Started first time every time from then.

Probably a combo of all steps, or maybe just the wire, but that's how i went about it.

Thank you all for your help :). I have been over it a few times and it turned out to be the shotty old power cable to starter it had a build up of some sort and insulation was peeling, have swapped out all power and earth cables with new and all good now :)

Kongrats! engine bays are hard to keep clean, but it makes diagnosis and repairs much easier. Iwhen you use water, have the engine running whilst you wash it. That way you will know where to look if it stops. Caution: pressure cleaners can force fluids through gasket faces and past O rings and seals. Be very careful using them on motors/gearboxes/electronics etc. Some degreasers are very aggressive. The safest ones appear to be the water soluable, paint on rinse off variety. they should not be left to dry out on the car.