Shuddering

heathaurion

Hi all,

Just tonight I noticed a shudder through the car and steering whilst I accelerate lightly from about speeds of 40-80km. It doesn't do it when slowing down or at take off. I thought I might of had a bubble in the tyre but nothing visible. Other than a steering issue like balance/alignment etc.. What else could it be? I read something about possible torque converter issues? Before I stress toooooo much does anyone have a suggestion?

Cheers

Heath

Could be a CV joint on the way out.

Had pretty much the same symptoms (shudder at certain speeds on acceleration, not on cruising at other speeds etc), ended up being the right hand CV, had it replaced and the other CV rebuilt and it's been good ever since.

None of those. For a long time I thought it was alignment/balance issues, but after getting that looked into and the problem not going away, I asked a friend who is a Toyota mechanic to have a drive, it horrified him, and he found the problem that way.

He gave me the old shaft afterwards so I could see where the dodgy bearing had worn a groove, which as he explained as the wheel rotated, that particular bearing would go into the groove instead of smoothly sliding back and forth along the way, and thus cause the shudder. Only showing up at particular speeds is the blame of physics.

If you're handy on the spanners I'd suggest having a look in the joint, if you have access to a small borescope camera that could make it even easier.