Dual cab tray on a single cab.

Luke3411

Hello.

Well this is my first post so hello to the Forum!

I have this crazy idea to have a dual cab tub on my single cab hilux. The space in between would be taken up by a cage that I can lock valuables in/ keep the pooch in. I'm not a pig hunter but definitely an avid camper!

So question 1.

I'm six foot. What is the length of a dual cab tub with the tail gate down. Want to throw a swag in there to sleep in.

Will the dual cab tub fit straight onto the single cab chassis with the existing mounts or will I have to get them modified? Engineering?

I look forward to everyone's reply and I can picture it in my head already! It's a KZN165r hilux FYI..

Cheers

The dual cab tubs are obviously shorter than the single cab models. Not sure about your exact model but the newer models are about 1.5 metres, plus the tailgate length once down.

yes trentmyer is right. I have a similar setup 1/2 done for my LN147R. The best fit you will get on the tub will be by curling up on your side. If that's not viable, consider an overhead sleeping platform above the cab/box/tray. I think my pics are still up on my long posts of <end in sight>. NB I'm planning on a fully welded wire mesh behind the front wall of the box to spread impact loads from sudden stops. I curse the hard hearted cabin builders whom won't do a simple basic model of this option at any reasonable price. They always want to do a deluxe version, which makes it unviable unless I DIY it. I'd love to have a damaged cabin to shorten up, or just buy the bulkheads pre-cut/fab in steel, but they are not available, and 1.8M is too wide, I only want 1.6M max.