mx83 speedo intermittant

jc001

Have a speedo problem , after sitting for a while speedo needle not working till after 10 - 15 mins driving . Odo's work ok and cruise control ok . Is 92 Grande .Read on other forums in USA that maybe speedo sensor in auto or dry joint on board at back of cluster. Any hints how to remove cluster ? JC

I had this problem on my mx83. The odometer died completely and the speedo was intermittent. I replaced the capacitors on the speedo circuit board and the speedo started working again but I had to replace it in the end as the odometer issue was in one of the chips on it and I couldn't find a spare.

Something to consider?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reply , yes could be .....am trying to figure out how to remove cluster ......

Thinking back , the problem first occurred after front tyres replaced .

Is there something in the abs system that could have been knocked / dislodged by tyre "techs " ?

Just looking for anything that maybe in the circuit that seems to come good after some use in motion , or rise in temp ?

As I said , cruise , trip and odo's are fine , speedo needle works after 10 or so mins / k's , got me stumped at mo .

I'm pretty sure the speedo signal is only from the gear box sender so you can rule out the abs sensors. Capacitors can fail with temperature. I have seen circuits only work when they warm up because of faulty caps.

The cluster should come out fairly easy. Start by removing the trim above the steering wheel. Then the shroud inside the dash around the cluster. Then screws out around the cluster, tilt it forward and reach behind to remove the plugs. The whole dash is a bit of a jig saw puzzle so you may have to pull a few other parts and look for hidden screws. If you really get stuck I may be able to put up some pictures from the Toyota service manual