80 Series petrol won't idle

Waynesworld

Help please.

I've had my petrol 80 series cruiser about 6 months and it hasn't missed a beat. BTW it's not duel fuel.

Last week the front muffler rusted through so I had it replaced. I wasn't aware at the time but the exhaust place just welded a straight bit of pipe in there. Maybe this is normal practice, I'm not sure.

Anyhow when I went to start it, 3 times in a row it started but after about 5 seconds it stopped.

After that it was fine. It has never done that before. Yesterday I drove it around for a few hours and then I went to start it and did the same thing. Only difference is that this time it won't run. It starts, revs up as normal for a few seconds and then dies. Trying to keep the revs up doesn't make any difference. I had it towed to an auto sparky and after 4 hours they still aren't sure what's wrong.

Any Ideas ?

Does the pump still run when it shuts off?

With that being said, I have experienced a similar issue with a Celica. It turned out to be the ignitor not giving a feedback signal to the ECU. Have you checked for error codes?

Check out this link on how to do so if you haven't:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-or-where-to-read-codes-for-a-1994-80-series.470427/

It's US based, however things should be very similar/the same.

I haven't actually listened to the pump but going by the fuel pressure, It drops slightly as the revs drop but that's to be expected. As soon as the engine stops, the fuel pressure is straight back up. We are suspicious of the O2 Sensor as the exhaust pipe was welded right next to it. There aren't any error codes come up

Well we got it fixed today. It turned out to be the Fuel pump resistor in the engine bay. My mate has been an Auto Sparky for 30 odd years and never replaced one. Not only that, Toyota have never stocked them in Australia. I managed to get a second hand one from a wreckers.