1996 Camry (wide body) need to programme new remote without any existing ones.

dale_885

Hi guys,

Recently got another 1996 Camry that didn't come with any remotes.

I have a good remote for this model but need to find out a way to programme it in without the existing remote (as I never got one)

Usually you out then existing remote in the reader and follow with the new one to programme. But surely there is away around this without paying a fortune at a Toyota dealer?

nope Toyota dealer cant even programme them now days mate sorry, the only real; option you have is to get the whole system removed and a new one installed which will cost into the thousands easy, i have the same issue with myt 1997 camry mate so i havent bothered to chase and stayed content with using the key , my alarm etc still work so it doesn't phase me

You don't have to replace the CIR as they can be reset back to virgin state and then you can program in TWO new remtoes, you can not do one. They also have to be new and not already coded to another car.

You don't have to replace the CIR as they can be reset back to virgin state and then you can program in TWO new remtoes, you can not do one. They also have to be new and not already coded to another car.

id love to know how to reset it then

Surely there is a way to reset something??

Exactly where is the CIR and what does CIR stand for?

I have had the glove box out and found- 1 small black box - the ECU - another larger black box to the side (computer something? I forget the markings now) but if someone could let me know which of these relates to the remote locking system and how to go about resetting?

Wonder if possibly I could replace the unit with one from a wreckers with a remote and if this would work in another Camry?

The CIR is coded to the ECU when remotes are first coded to the car, this prevents you from being able to get a CIR with remote from another car. They can be reset back to new but this is not straight forward to do and requires programming equipment.

CIR stands for Computer Integrated Relay. I can post a picture of one tomorrow as I have one in my shed.

• 2 weeks later...

CIR is basically an ECU for all the body electrics in the car. Also called the Integration Relay, Body Control Module etc etc.

so if i was to get a body control module form anotehr exact same numbers etc that has remote with it would that work ?

CIR is basically an ECU for all the body electrics in the car. Also called the Integration Relay, Body Control Module etc etc.

so if i was to get a body control module form anotehr exact same numbers etc that has remote with it would that work ?

No, as it is coded to the ECU.