Moving from Echo to Yaris...questions

melson

Hi,

I've owned my 2005 Toyota Echo (NCP10R) manual 3dr hatch for 10 years. That is until it was written off last week in an accident (not at fault). So now I am looking to buy a car to replace, I loved my Echo, it was a great little car, so now I am looking at replacing it with a Yaris.

So I was hoping you guys could help me out with a couple of questions. My budget is $8,000, what year/model Yaris would you recommend in regards to features (like is there someone more significant in a specific year than the one beforehand) etc. This is also my first time buying a secondhand car as I bought my Echo new. Is there anything specific to Yaris' that I should be aware/conscious of when inspecting/test driving a Yaris?

Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Got our daughter a 2012 Yaris YRS auto with 102,000kms on it for $8,700 from Pickles Auctions (got it fixed price, not at auction). Also saw an identical Yaris but with 116,000kms on it go for $8,750 at auction from Pickles. Insurance company say the value of the car is $14,000!

I see many Yaris's for sale at the various Pickles auctions. You can get them thousands of $'s cheaper than at a dealer (because the dealers buy from the auctions at what is essentially a wholesale price, then add $ thousands to that price and sell to you retail).

If you buy a fixed price car from Pickles, you get the statutory 3mth/5,000 kms dealer warranty. If you buy at auction, you get no warranty. The only problem re buying from Pickles is you can't test-drive the car. You can inspect and start it though.

So what I looked for is:

Ex-fleet govt lease car with a full service history (the website listing of the car will tell you its service history);

Each car has an inspection report that details any damage and some mechanical issues (e.g. it might say engine warning light is on);

I physically inspected it, started it and looked for smoke coming out at rear, checked coolant and oil colours/levels, got underneath and looked for damage and leaks;

Checked all lights etc worked;

Check interior bits working (a/c, CD player etc)

Checked spares tyre, jacks etc;

Spare keys etc;

If fixed price, it should have a current road-worthy certificate with it and will probably still have some rego;

First time I bought from Pickles I was nervous as the price was so good, and I was not able to test-drive, but their ex-govt cars with a full service history are hard to go past.

I have a lease car for work, and if I'm overdue a service, the company text me to tell me to get it done!